TN and wisdom tooth removal

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia, I had severe pain in my right side of face pressured head, sore mouth and sore nose on and off for 4 months.

Originally was prescribed 2 doses of antibiotics for sinusites which didn't help at all.

I don't like dentists so was avoiding them until I got a lump in my neck which said could be tooth abscess. I went to the dentist for an x ray and he said he wanted to take my wisdom tooth out which could be the reason for all my pain. Also he said the lump was nothing to do with him and I need to see my doctor.

3 days later with my wisdom tooth out, I am still in pain from the injections, still have a headache.

I don't know whether I actually have TN or not. I don't want to keep pestering the doctors.

So has anybody else had problems like this? Can TN cause the lymph nodes to swell?

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI Katrina. i`ve had TN for 20 yrs best way to alleviate the excruitiating pain is a frozen bag of peas held to the side of the face. move around from eye. sinus cheek then upper head then back to cheek. if you have tablets put one under tongue and let dissolve .  there is a risky operation see doc. good luck nun xx
    • Posted

Hi Michael,

I have been off tegretol for about a week now n I've been pain free for about 3 except for few headaches but good to know about the frozen peas.

I still don't know if it is TN and I'm hoping it doesn't come back.

How long does yours go away for at a time? Or is yours always there with help of tablets?

• Posted

hi Katrina. try not to touch affected area with hands just the peas they adjust to ur facial cotours, sad to say it is recurrent .i`ve had 6 sessions in 20yrs approx.{ this was told to me by the paramedics in Worthing 20 yrs ago}  but over the years the pain worsens, i`m going thro a months worth of pain now co-codamol under the tongue helps also.
  • Posted

Hi Katrina, You Mention That Your Doctor Gave You TN Tablets ,Can I Ask Which Tablets Please. Carbamazapine Or Some Other ? Thank You
    • Posted

I was given tegretol, I think they were good. By the time I got them my pain was easing so I'm not definite about them. Which do you take?
    • Posted

Hi Katrina, My Tablets Are Co-codamol 30/500mg At The Moment. My Doctor Is Phoning Me This pm And Hopefully Will Prescribe A Course Of Carbamazapine. While We`re Chatting Two Initials Have Come Up Which I Don`t Understand   No 1 Is  : MVD And 2 is : MRI can you shed any light For Me Please. ps this is first day for one month i haven`t woken Up With TN, Maybe My Pain Is Temporarily Over.
    • Posted

Hi Again, Have Just Looked Up Tegretol It Is The Same As Carbamazapine, will contact you later after GP`s Call
    • Posted

Hi, didn't know myself what mvd is so just searched it -microvascular decompression (mvd). It's some type of surgery for TN, you could ask your doctor about that. And an MRI is a brain scan but I don't think you can see about TN on it. I'm not 100% about that but I think I read that somewhere.

You must be feeling good this morning with no pain I'm sure it's a relief. Co-codamol didn't help my pain at all I found a strong ibruprofen eased it slightly.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks For The Enlightenment. I Did Forget That I Do Also Take 3 a Day Iboprufen 400mg. Fingers Crossed Still No TN. What A Relief.
    • Posted

Hi Katrina. are you still pestering those doctors? LOL.We are all fascinated where you get tegretol for your pain; you wean yourself off easily and the pain has gone away.I am so jealous.! 3 years I had level 1 TN ; pain on eyebrow and washing hair.Fell over and broke my hip and Tn disappeared.I did rehab and feeling good for 18 months and back it came; level2 Dec 2014.So guys, was that remission or co-incidence?
    • Posted

hi Michael. Did you wake up today with no pain?If I were you I would be praying to every God of every religion not just keeping fingers crossed.Let us know so we can be happy for you.I've had 3 MRIs; 2 this year .This is the only way doctors can be certain it's nerve damage.I was shown where the vein crosses over the T nerve.This year I also had a lumbar spine op where arthritis bone was pressing on the nerve controlling walking well. No pain,no worries. Now I am walking well.Funny thing,no attacks anywhere outside my house.No attacks even in MRIs with vibrations and banging and clanging..Best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, After One Month Of Between 6-9 Attacks Per Day I Have Some Good News That I`m Happy To Impart. I`ve Now Had 36 Hrs Without Pain Until Mid-Afternoon When A Big One Arrived ,One Of The Worst Yet , But With Icepack, Tongued Co-codamol And Swallowed Tramadol 45 Mins Later My Head Was Clear, Making Me A Very Happy Bunny . These Seem To Be The Regular Symtoms Of A Long Term TN Sufferer.The Reason Why I Have Not Mentioned This Earlier Is That I Try Not To Think About TN  Just Happy Thoughts, I`m Not Too Religious Myself But I Did Thank God After My 34 Hrs Were Up As This Is Quite Common With This Problem. Funny Thou` My Meds Will Be Delivered Friday, Sort Of Typical NHS Too Late. Next Week Wed 6th May Comes District Nurse For My Blood Test , Then 2 Weeks Later Or More Comes My Carbamasazapine {Tegretol ] Hopefully, A Little Too Late But Ready For The Inevitable Next Time.Thank You For Your Thoghts. If Hitler Had Control Of A Weapon To Give The Population TN We Surely Would Have Lost Any War, But I Still Would Like To Know What Triggers It ?????
    • Posted

Hi Michael.Thanks for your amusing and interesting reply.Tell me about this "big one".You need to think back and resume the previous position you were in. I often get start of attacks lessened this way. For example if it happens getting into bed, well you get out of bed and stand up straight and TN can stop this way,It's because you have moved and caused a vein to cross over and touch the Trigeminal nerve.When I wake the intense pain is stopped by my first cup of tea for the day.Most of my attacks happen in the bedroom.I can't get over the fact that I can hair round town and no attacks.So make a list of where you were before just before or moved your head.I can't believe you are toughing it out with no tegretol.Is co-coda mol same as Panadol.My first trigger this time round was walking on the beach.Well, what kind of drug is Tramadol?Will compare Aussie health with NHS next post. Best wishes for remission soon. Can you get a mate to knock you over?I got remission when I broke my hip.Tho make sure it's onto grass. Lol
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, Firstly Tegretol Is The Usual Treatment For TN , The Other Name Is Carbamazapine. ThisDrug  According To My Doctor Needs A Blood Test To Ascertain Whether Mr My Liver/Kidney Are Not Too Damaged Through Me Being A Drinker...co-codamol has a morphine derivative Best you & I Look @ Your Search Engine To Get A Better Answer...Most Of My Attacks Happen Also In My Sleeping Position In Bed So I May Get Half An Hour Sleep Or Less Then Wake With A TN. First Stop Fridge For My Bag Of Peas Then Tongue Co -Coda, Then If Persisting After Tablet Has Nearly Dissolved My Final Solution IsTramadol. The Whole Process Lasts Lasts For Threequarters To One Hour Of `The Big One`. From Which I Have Had 28 Over This Last Month Of Suffering.... At It`s Peak I Had Between 6-9 Attacks A Day , Rather Unpleasant To Put It Mildly. Still Searching For The Trigger It Doesn`t Seem To Be Grass, But Maybe Spirits Or Unwelcome Noise Not Sure... Rather Pleased Now Down To Three Attacks In Three  Days I Might Have Be Nearly Clear From This Horrid Affliction. Inshallah.
    • Posted

Hi Michael..how are you going today?I hope you are well. Why do you have to wait weeks for medicine? It's hardly fair.Are you penalised for drinking?What will you do if the blood test shows damage and big brother says no? No,the trigger is nerve and vein crossing. It is unusual that TN is waking you.I never heard of that.Maybe cause you have no tegretol. Does your TN sit on the side of the nose and attack from there?Anyone else would think we are crazy, but we are crazy with pain.Admin  had a look at my previous post.?What do think could have been doubtful, but they let it go ahead.Best wishes
    • Posted

Hi Maggie, Thank You For Your Caring Letter, 3rd Day And Only 2 Attacks,A Period Of 36 Hours Without TN. Today On My Mobility Scooter I Will Travel One mile To The Local Shops {living rurally}To Pick Up My Medication. Yesterday The District Nurse Phoned To Say My Blood Test Appointment Is Next Wed At My Home.. My Post Was Good Yesterday As My Attendance Allowance Of 81 pounds a Week Was Allowed And Backdated Three Weeks... My TN Pain The Really Bad Area Is From 3 Inches above My Ear And Forwards 2 Inches. Then Under My Left Eye With A Raging Toothache Where My Wisdom Teeh Were. With My Trusty Bag Of Frozen Peas I Concentrate On The Complete Left Hand Side Of My Face Then All Over My Head Whilst Taking A Co-Codamol Under My Tongue.   For The Past Month I Have Been Scared To Go To Bed As I Know That Within 20-30 mins Of Me Retiring I`m Up With TN.For The Past Three Days ,I`ve Had A Good Nights Sleep. I`m Not Particularly Religious But I Think THANK GOD Nearly Over And I Will Put My Meds In The Fridge In Readyness For The Next Time.... Now I Can Concentrate On My Candida And COPD.... Live Now Pay Later Well I`m Paying Now Have A Good Weekend..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.