TN flare up problem

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having a problem which is becoming pretty serious.  I'm hoping for some insight.  I'm having a pretty nasty flare-up which started around Monday (it is now Friday)  I take 600 mg. of carbemazam, 3X a day and Vimpat 150 mg 2X a day.  By Tuesday, I took 800 mg of Advil, which really doesn't help but my head was pounding.  By mid-morning, I took Oxycodone.  I just needed to knock myself out.  By Wednesday I was taking all of that plus a muscle relaxant prescribed by my neurologist.  I haven't eaten or drank even water since Monday night.  I went to an urgent care clinic yesterday to get fluids.  But now I have a pretty bad stomach ache and all I'm feeding it is pills.  I can't even drink a sip of water through a straw.  Thankfully I can take pills dry!  I guess my question is...has anybody been through this and what did they do to prevent from tearing up their stomach?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Suck ice and if cold bothers you then try watermelon ...anything that is high fluids.  I take misoprostol for my stomach so I can take arthritis medications...works really well.  Good luck
    • Posted

Thank you!  Truthfully, nothing is going in my mouth.  But you gave me the idea to icepack it!  Maybe that'll work

• Posted

Cold bothers me....cold drinks, cold air....so I use soup.  Be careful you can get dehydrated so quickly.  I have just switched from carbamazepine and gabapentin to lyrica and morphine...at least so far I have my mind back.  Pain is manageable during the day just need to get some sleep...I am just finishing prednisone for reaction to carbamazepine.
  • Posted

i have gatroparesis and get sick quit a bit so i take zofran as needed for naseau, its a medicine given to cancer patients that get sick from chemotherapy and it helps, a lot. ask about that and let me know what they say.

also when i wasn't able to keep anything down my gastroenterologist gave me a script for compunded phenergan that was a gel that i rubbed on my wrists much like you would perfume tho the zofran worked ALOT better but if you can't keep anything down.........

• Posted

i don't know why my post is being moderated. i think it's cause i shortened please..... ughhh

• Posted

This is all good information...thank you!  Unfortunately it's a Friday before a holiday weekend, and there's not a doctor to be found!  LOL

• Posted

i hope you get through the weekend ok. the longest stretch i went w/o eating was almost 6 days  so i know what you're going through, i'd also try mebbe some probiotics. some yogurt anything with live bacteria in it if you can. i'd look online for the BRAT  diet. i can't put a link in but here's the gist of it

"What is the BRAT diet?

If you have recently had an upset stomach or diarrhea, your doctor may suggest that you limit your diet to bland foods that won’t irritate your stomach. The BRAT diet is a bland-food diet that is often recommended for adults and children. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. The BRAT diet can help you recover from an upset stomach or diarrhea for the following reasons:

It includes “binding” foods. These are low-fiber foods that can help make your stools firmer.

It includes bananas, which are high in potassium and help replace nutrients your body has lost because of vomiting or diarrhea."

i hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.