TN-Lyrica 50mg increase is Not Good!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I rang my doctor yesterday concerning an increase of dosage for Lyrica. Originally I was informed it has to be at 25mg increase about every week. I was already on 50mg and was about to start on 75mg. My doctor said I can jump to 50mg increase. So because of my pain I was glad to jump 50mg. Last night I was like a zombie!

I was very drowsy and slept like a log for 9hrs with the exception of a toilet break at 1am.

This morning I took 100mg and within 2hrs I felt drowsy, weak and a little breathless. I didn't feel very well at all so I decided to come back home. I've had lunch but that hasn't made any difference to how I feel. All the side of my face was stinging, my teeth aching along with electric shocks. It wouldn't stop. My face even felt numb.

I'm not taking 100mg straight off again tonight. I'm just jumping to 75mg. This isn't good. I guess it affects different people different ways.

Anyone else jump in 50mg of Lyrica like that? Did you feel the same as above?

Gloriana

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think that anyone who posts here is incredibly brave especially those who use meds but still have pain.take today I'm off to London to deliver Christmas gifts to my family yet I have raging pain in both upper jaws and teeth and would much rather stay home with ice paks on my face and watch downloads......but I don't/ we don't ....we carry on as normal but it isn't normal as we are in pain and the thing is because it can't be seen and we look ok nobody gets the extent of the pain that is if you even bother to tell them.So that is why we all are SO brave.Thinking of you all out there.Have a good day gloriana!
    • Posted

I really sympathise with you.

I only advised a fellow sufferer recently to get the TN information on line and take some copies, or even the library come to that. Distribute these copies to people who just do not understand the pain we go through. Even today, after over twenty years of having TN, when I tell people I suffer with TN, or that it has returned, they just merely say either, 'Oh!' Or 'What's that?' Then providing you haven't got the stinging, electric shock feeling going right through your teeth etc at that time, you may just be able to explain to them what it is. 

You say you use ice packs on your face! I take it that's to numb the pain? 

Have you tried heated packs, which apparently can draw out the pain?

I haven't tried either yet, but I may do, even if it's just to ease off the stinging and incessant pain in the teeth.

Thank you Wanganui, you have a good day too. Chat to you soon.

Gloriana

• Posted

Hi Gloriana

i was told by my gp to reduce my meds by 100mg am and pm per week and realise that was probably too much too soon. I took my first 50mg this morning and will leave the evening dose at 100mg for a week and see how it goes. 

Ive had pain since I was 31 and not had a day without pain. I managed the first 12/13 years without meds due to misdiagnosis and then not wanting medication when I read side effects. I often hang my head upside down when I have pain as I think gravity doesn't help. Sometimes it works and others not. I have questioned my pain doctor why I have hideous pain and then nothing for a while, so how come the tablets work one minute and not the next. He said he doesn't know, which makes me think the tablets don't really help? Very confusing. 

I hope your pain lessens very soon and fingers crossed you won't have to go up the dosage too much. I will keep checking this site to see how you are doing. 

Thank you you for replying. 

Feel better soon!

paula

• Posted

Wow, that was a big drop. My GP insists 25mg increase/decrease per week.

I think someone else said something like, continue taking medication for TN on a regular basis, even when the pain has stopped, that way the build up of the meds in your bloodstream will already be there for the next time the TN returns. The only problem with that, I thought, was you're never going to be off the meds. I don't think I'd like to take tablets permanently for no pain. But I guess everyone is different. Also it would depend on which medication you're on. 

Sometimes side effects wear off after you've been on the tablets for a short while. With Tegretol I had sickness and vomiting of a morning unless I had a cup of tea and a biscuit in bed before I got up. Reminds me of my pregnancies and morning sickness lol.

I also had dizziness and unsteadiness etc. But after my system got used to the tabs the symptoms disappeared.

I hope you find a happy medium somewhere along the line. You shouldn't have to suffer in pain or be medication free.

Good luck with your reduction. Let us know how you're getting on.

Thank you Paula. I spoke to a different Dr this afternoon, he's giving me an anti-inflammatory tablet to take at night and suggested how to take my

Lyrica, 50mg a.m and 75mg at night and gradually build up that way. 

I needed to have something because there are times when my back lower tooth feels like a raging toothache.

Chat soon, take care and hope you feel better soon too.

Gloriana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.