TN or tmjd or what????

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have never joined a forum so excuse my poor etiquette. I am in severe face pain and I don't know what to do. Ear pain jaw pain eye pain headaches stabbing pain in cheek that comes and goes, but it also happens in the jaw and ear also. I just want to know what is what so I can start feeling better. I don't have insurance so that is scary ...after reading how hard it is to be diagnosed. Feeling fed up. .

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

The best advice I can give you is to see a doctor. I am in the UK so the system is very different than the US or elsewhere. But visiting an emergency room may be the best option for now.

One of the most effective ways of dealing with the type of pain from TN, TMJD or any neuropathic pain is to apply an 'as hot as you can tolerate' compress, it works for me (to an extent as well as the prescribed medicine!).

Good luck

• Posted

It is hard to diagnose this sort of pain. You need to go to a DR.  Go to an A&E room Orr emergency clinic for help. Tell them what you think you have.  Take somebody with you.     Contact   Trigeminal Neuralgia Association.   TNA   UK.   They will help you .   You will be speaking to people that gave TN.  Get help.  Don't just suffer.  There is also a site called ouch, this is also a good site.  Keep us posted on 

• Posted

Unfortunately sometimes it's down to luck of getting a doctor who knows about TN. When I first got it, I went to my dentist first, who couldn't figure it out. A few days later of constant excruciating pain, no sleep, no eating, and feeling like I couldn't survive much longer, I made an urgent appointment with whatever doctor was available at my doctor's office. I described my symptoms and this doctor I had never seen before instantly knew what it was.

If you go see a doctor who doesn't recognize it right away, suggest that it might be TN and ask to try an anti-convulsant medication. If it works, it's neuropathy. If it doesn't work, unfortunately it must be something else.

The good thing is that anti-convulsants aren't like painkillers in that doctors don't seem to hesitate to prescribe them when people ask. They treat a specific problem. So if you ask, it is likely they will be willing to try it.

Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.