TN surgery procedures

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had severe stabbing jolting throbbing pain in my temple inside my ear behind my eye behind my ear and occasionally in my jaw for over a month constantly. I've seen multiple Drs and finally they are pointing towards TN. I've already tried prednisome and tegretol and haven't had any luck or felt any difference in pain. I've been reading on surgeries due to the medications generally used to treat TN have not worked. Has anyone had any surgical procedures done for TN? If so, have you felt a difference in pain? I'd rather not be on medication for the rest of my life since im only 22 years old.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had micro vascular decompression at Mayo clinic and have been fine ever since ; Get your Doc to order a MRI to see if the trigeminal nerve is being compressed by an artery.That is the only way to know for sure . The surgery was a breezefor me and I am so Thankful! Good Luck to you and  God Bless!!!
    • Posted

I have had 3 MRI's and 1 MRA (Aneurism scan) and have a few blood vessels enlarged that are near/pressing my trigeminal nerve. I have not been told anything other than that. I have been reading about the microvascular decompression and seen the side effects you can encounter... did you have any sort of side effects? Also, very nervous as it seems to be a very major surgery (losing part of your skull). How was recovery for you? I am only 22 years old so I'm a little nervous about having that big of a surgery so young but I cannot deal with this pain anymore, I am miserable and don't want to take medication the rest of my life. I appreciate any advice, thank you so much for responding!! 

• Posted

Devon I went to the number 1 rated in nuerology clinic in the U.S. The surgery was not bad for me at all. an enlarged artery was wrapped around the nerve and compressing it in 3 places. I spent one night in intensive care and and 3 more nights in the hospital . I have so far had no bad after-effectsexcept perhaps slight headaches and some sinus problems when there are  low pressure weather conditions.As far as the pain of surgery it was not something that pain meds did not completely cover. I have had 4 back surgeries in my life and they were much more painful . I was out and at a meeting in 3 weeks and feeling great! My MVD was in October of 2016. I may be a bit more forgetful than I was before the surgery but nothing that all my friends are not experiencing. I have just turned 72 so  old age is responsible for my forgetfulness I think ! I felt like anything was better than the attacks of excruciating pain and put my Trust completely in God to see me through. I suggest you find a video explaining the surgery . There is one on the University of Pittsburgh Nuerology website as well as on You Tube. Watching what was going to happen to me made me less afraid along with my belief that it was in God's hands. 

• Posted

Hi Devon,

I had TN all of 2015 and half of 2016.  Got to a point where 1000 mg of Tegretol per day wasn't controlling the daily attacks so i did all the research i could and underwent MVD surgery in April 2016.  TN pain is gone but plenty of other side effects have resulted since.  To view my posts just click on my name and feel free to ask any questions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.