TN symptoms with jolts in head!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I have recently been advised by my GP that I have textbook symptoms of TN. I get regular episodes of the burning sensation to the left side of my face, however, I get the electric shocks in my head. These last no more than a few seconds, but reading many stories and articles on the internet, the shocks seem to be in the jaw, teeth etc. Does anyone else have them in their head? Mine tend to be on the opposite side of where the burning sensation ate too.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula,  Yes , my T.N. is typically  on one side of the face. However , I have had it in the head too. which does  make to extra careful combing , washing and setting. I hope your T.N. moves or even better that you find the treatment best for you. Do ask to see a neurologist now . Don't delay be cause they really are the best people to advise. Good luck to you Paula and please don't be scared by some of the stories on this site. We tend to come here for help  when we're most in need of support and going through a bad patch.There's a great bunch of contributors and all are willing to give advise., Gill

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to respond, Gill x

The pain itself at the moment is bearable, but when the jolt comes in my head, it's enough to take my breath!

• Posted

That's typical Paula. I'm so so sorry you're getting these pains. Everyone on this site knows what you're having to put up with.  I knew an old lady who also had the problem of this pain in her head. I didn't know how bad it was until I got the thing myself many years ago.. Don't forget to get your doctor to refer you.  Many G.P's have limited knowledge. You really need an M.R.I scan to pinpoint the troublesome nerve. I do hope you find relief soon. . Love and prayers to you , Paula

• Posted

I don’t experience it that way. Mine are all in my upper right jaw but as someone replied and I have heard it can happen. I will second the importance of seeing a neurologist and then a second for both confirmation and treatment. This is a horrid disease. It’s had me basically bedridden the last three months and I have a 7 year old daughter. I am trying everything possible to fix it. I really hope for your sake it isn’t. But we are here for you if it is indeed TN.
    • Posted

Hello Anazora, 

Oh, how I sympathise with you. It's truly dreadful that you have to cope with this when you have a young family. I didn't start this till in my 50's so my boys were grown up. No-one can possibly understand the pain unless they suffer it themselves although they may try to understand..My pain is in the same position as yours and I feel like one of the Great Unwashed. I haven't been able to give my face a good was for months. Touching the right side of my face can bring on an acute attack which could last for an hour or more. I'm on 1000mg tegretol and also Gabapentin  so don't know where I go from here. The only thing I suggest you hang on to is that there will be a remission, hopefully a long one. I'm taking part in some research at Leeds Uni' but it's so slow.  I'll continue to pray for all with this dratted thing.

Love to you, Gill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.