TN2 with confirmed nerve compression?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. I’m 29 years old, female.  I had my first attack of TN late May of this year. I finally got sick of the pain after 10 days and went to the ER. It was absolutely, without a doubt, the worst pain of my life and I’ve had half my bladder removed. Doctor at the ER had trained as a neurologist previously which I feel so incredibly grateful for. He order an MRI with Trigeminal Neuralgia protocol, which showed a compression at the cisternal... did I say this right? I dont have the report in front of me. What part of the root is the cisternal portion? Anyways, the Neuro-Rad and on-call neurologist diagnosed me with TN. My question is this, my TN started out somewhat typical: it was electrical pain brought on by wind, touching, eating, etc. and then my left face below the eye went completely numb and tingly and the pain turned into an excruciating slow burn. I can mostly touch my face now, but the burn is pretty consistent and I have a single tooth (and sometimes multiple) that hurts constantly. Sometimes it moves between single teeth. Tegretol worked a little, but the side effects weren’t worth the small relief. Gabapentin seems to be working and a short but strong RX of predisone did wonders. Does atypical TN also usually have a confirmed compression? It seems like most folks with MRI-confirmed compression have TN1. I’m awaiting an appointment at a major facial pain clinic with very good neurologists.  I know everyone is different, but I’m wondering if I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease. My ANA blood work was “indeterminent” two years ago (I have joint problems too) and I think it’s interesting predisone worked so well. Has anyone else had good results with predisone? Is my case unusual? TN1 and TN2 symptoms with confirmed compression? Or is this the norm? This is all so overwhelming and painful and confusing, any information would be greatly appreciated. I’m still trying to convince myself it’s my teeth, but I know that will probably lead to unnecessary dental work. Tylenol doesn’t work and I’m not sensitive to cold or touching the tooth itself. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My daughter was diagnosed at 21 years old.  I suggest you read some of my previous posts- they are pretty long and detailed. Let me know if you have questions about anything... There is a lot of information to take in.  Make sure you have your questions written down, and possibly someone to go with you to the appointment to take notes so you can focus on the conversation. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.