TNR

Posted , 5 users are following.

21st June 18 knee was done been to hell and back thought I had turned a corner ! i do nights as a support worker. once i have done my jobs its just waiting to see if I'm needed and wait till 07:00 for day staff to come on duty then get the guests up for the new day. last night was so cold my knee became very stiff the pain unbearable and very painful to walk it was and felt just like the day after the operation no matter how much rubbing and massaging I have given to the knee pain is awful i feel so sick with it I think I’m going to have to knit myself some knee warmers

I now realise that I am delusional I really did think that once I had the new kneee it would all be over and done with but now understand and realise that I am delusional I really did think that once I had the new knee it would all be over and done with but now understand that that is not the case. you deal with each day as it comes and just hope it’s less pain than the day before.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

A full recovery usually takes a year. At four months, you're still early in your recovery. You should have already done the work to get your ROM back but now you need to rebuild all the surrounding musculature (quads, glutes and core). That takes a while. Cold hurts...no doubt. I have a metal knee, metal hip and two back fusions with all that metal. Cold is not my friend...it will not be yours.

Expecting to be back to "normal" in four months is delusional...so you are correct in that. The problem is that we all thought the same thing. Gotta let go of it and concentrate on your recovery and muscle rebuild. It should be way better at 6 months and you will probably feel more like your old self at nine. Then you get to dance at your one year anniversary. This takes time, work and patience. Expectations just screw with your head.

• Posted

HI Chico so glad you got back to ME you are so sensible with your advice and make us understand we are all individuals it all takes time yes it is early days I think I’m just having a down day glad to hear from you

• Posted

This is NOT linear path. Advances, setbacks, plateaus. All part of the game. The point is that you accept the challenge and NEVER back down. Have a down day? No problem. Toss it off and have a better one tomorrow. This is not just about your body. Keep your mind clear and your spirit strong...always.

"Never give up. Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

No Chico you said that to me, but I have been in a dreadful state and mine was over two years ago.

• Posted

Don't hear this very often from someone 2 years post-op. What's going on???

• Posted

Dear Kathleen,

i kn ow it's nightmare. I was the same and still am.

I had mine done over two years ago and i was walking better before i had it done. I was given the impression that it would all be better in six weeks. He kept saying I wouldn't be able to drive for six weeks, so I thought that was the ok time.

I have now been referred to the pain clinic who want to do a genicular nerve block on my knee. It seems my nerves have been damaged in the op.

In the meantime, they have prescribed Duloxetine, one in the morning , one at night. They've taken the pain away but they have numbed my knee, which makes is difficult to walk.

However, I couldn't walk before these tablets because of the pain, but now I am trying my best. I must say they have been the best thing.

• Posted

HI Mary i Think the majority of us were told six weeks and it will all be better delusional . as Chico and everyone else says it takes time patience exercise exercise exercise . I do still have a lot of pain and that does depress me but it sounds daft its a different pain my ROM is only 95 and painful but i keep trying daily to get it better .the pain behind me knee im concerned about the pain behind the back of my knee so off to the GP IN THE MORNING if i can get in but it needs sorting out

• Posted

As I have said before. People recover very quickly on Fantasy Island but in the real world it takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day and TKRs don't recover in a couple of months. Important to work on your recovery, and don't despair you will get there in the end and have many years of pain free knee, I'm 20 and18½ years with mine and still going strong.

• Posted

So sorry... I finally had my arthoscopic surgery and manipulation on Wednesday. Almost 9 months after my TKR. By a different surgeon, for obvious reasons. I am already 115 ROM. I didn't even have that pre op knee replacment. It hurts like hell, but finally, Im on the right path.. I could write a book about my journey.

• Posted

I think we all could write a book about our TKRs, some would be horror stories, but fortunately not all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.