To boot, or not to boot (at night)

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello all.

I am entering week 7, post surgical. Dislocated (BIG time), double break, left ankle. One plate, couple of screws. Recovery seems to have been going nicely. PWB is a pain.

Left side of left angle is sore, irritated, now puffy red. NO oozing.

Question: anyone been told it's okay to sleep without your boot? I tend to sleep on my left side so am thinking that maybe the boot itself is rubbing the area during the night.

Thanks in advance for your input!!!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That sounds like a reasonable compromise. So far I sleep on top of my sheets with a couple of throw blankets. Thank you. -Di

• Posted

hi Diane, I went into an airboot at 6weeks following surgery for an ankle fusion. Prior to this i had an accident where i broke the ankle and snapped a tendon. I was told that I could take the airboot off at night but to get a frame to keep the covers off so that I could move easily. I have done this and a couple of days ago at week 12 I was xray'd and told that the ankle had fused.

I hope that helps.

• Posted

Christine, many thanks for your input. I have been sleeping for a few nights w/o the boot. My PT said it was okay. I sleep on top of the bed and use a couple of throws as needed. It's summer time where I live so this seems to work out fine, so far. My sores alongside my left ankle are healing up nicely now since the boot is not aggravating them!! Note: I found a really good web site about wound management which helped in tweaking my wound care.

• Posted

Please can you send the details on the website for the wound care. I started weight bearing as of this week and my outer side of right ankle where the surgery was performed is rubbing the boot and causing a burning feeling and not letting it heal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.