To boot or not to boot post-bunion surgery?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I had my right foot bunion done on Wednesday, just a few days ago, and I don't know what to do about walking because they gave me a boot and just one crutch and I walked out of the surgery (with no pain... but that's because the ankle block still hadn't worn off.... it did soon after.... ouch!) But my mum (who has had both done a few years ago) and an awful lot of people on forums like these said don't put ANY weight on it for 8 weeks if you want the best recovery? As my mum had crutches left from her ops, I've been using those and getting around the house (quite happily) on 2 with no boot on and putting no weight on it.... but I'm worried am I doing the right thing? I actually tried to get the boot back on yesterday to try it but couldn't because the feeling (and pain) is of course now back... but I'm worried, is there a higher wisdom as to why they only gave me one crutch and the boot that I'm doing damage by ignoring?

New to this, so any advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you guys

JJ xxx

Ps... is anyone who's now several years post-op now able to wear any heels again? X

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi HI

If you read through some of these forum discussions , you start to realise that there are as many different operations, treatments and the combination of both as there are stars in the sky. In addition treatment etc has also moved on considerably over the years. You only have to look at the fancy boots that are used now compared to plaster of Paris pots.

The advice you should follow is the advice given to you by your surgeon. Surely if they had wanted you to use two crutches that is what you would have been given? I was told exactly what I could and couldn't do.

Ring the surgeon/ ward/ doctor and ask what you should be doing then do it. Otherwise you" won't have a leg to stand on" if something goes wrong.

Good luck

• Posted

If they gave you one crutch it is to be used on the nonoperative side so you put more weight on your good foot. I worked in an orthopadic office for years and this was one of the hardest thing for patients to understand. Please use the boot at all times and put a little weight on your heel for support, if you ever lost your balance when not wearing boot you could hurt that foot. This is how the doctor I worked for treated his patients so please contact your doctor for his advise. I had my both feet done 2 years ago and this treatment worked well first hand. Good luck in your healing.
  • Posted

Hi there

As it takes 6 to 8 weeks for your bones to heal. You should be resting as much as possible. you should really be elevating your foot above heart level at all times especially the first 2 weeks. Also ice pack behind your knee really helps with those nerve pain. I would say keep your boot on. You don't say whether you have a cast on. I would have also though two crutches as there's a lot of pressure on your hips when there is just one.

• Posted

Hello jjcreative, I had surgery 5 months ago on my left bunion and was told not to put no weight for 8 weeks. I am glad I listened. I came home with a soft surgical boot which I had for 2 weeks then after that i was put into a cast for 6 weeks. Still was advised no weight bering. Then from cast to black boot then I was advised to walk with crutches and only put 25% of weight for the first week then 2nd week 50% and so on. I would strongly recommend to take it easy so that your avaible to recover pretty well. Elevate elevate elevate anytime you need to. I also recommend to do physical therapy it's a must and will help with healing process.

• Posted

Hi all, thanks so much for your responses, it's really helpful to hear everyone's experiences.

That said, it really does seem to me it's a case of "Horses for Courses..." - i.e. everyone's experiences and the advice they receive seem to be completely different... presumably based on the severity of their bunion, the type of operation they've had, maybe also their age or weight. Perhaps, in that case, I should have provided more detail, apologies - I'm 31, of healthy BMI (although not an athlete!) and although I don't know the proper term, my op involved a wedge cut to my right foot knuckle joint/bunion and a corresponding cut on the toe bone so that the surgeon could straighten the to, a couple of pins (which will stay there permanently unless something happens) and fortunately no fusing of anything whatsoever. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd never discount advice from UK NHS doctors and nurses - Christ, they've saved my life several times over. It's just that walking out of the hospital on Wednesday with the boot and one crutch was fine because the ankle block hadn't yet worn off so I couldn't feel anything. When I got home and removed the boot (they told me to take it off for long periods of resting, which is ALL I've done since I've been home, and at night).... I found it then hurt to get it back on... and things had swollen up too so I couldn't fit it in and strap it down properly without it hurting (again, when the nurse did this in the hospital, I couldn't yet feel anything as the block was still active). Hence my reluctance to use it. And as I say, as my mum had the second crutch, this is how I've just been getting to the bathroom and upstairs to bed for the past few days. I'm very lucky in that my husband and I have temporarily moved back in with her anyway (she has a loo on the ground floor, mobility and disability aids around the house left over from when my dear late Nan lived here so getting around and doing things one legged is so much easier than it could otherwise be). So I haven't really wanted to go one-crutch-boot - I've been much more confident on two.

It seems that the common reason they advise against using two crutches (at least from what, including the nurse I spoke to on the phone yesterday say), is you could topple over, and the reason for the boot is for protection. I guess I wanted to know if wearing the boot and attempting walking in the first few days has some sort of healing benefit (i.e. does it put your foot in a position that strenghtens mucles/tendons or something etc....) however it seems to be focusing on protecting your foot should you fall over. As I am fairly confident on 2 crutches... but mostly because I can't get the damned b*****d thing ON, I think I'm going to carry on as I am... at least until my follow-up appointment NEXT wednesday at the hospital... when I will need to wear it, regardless, to get there.

Thanks all.... do keep your opinions and experiences coming, please, as they're really helpful xxxxxxx

Also my previous 'P.S' still stands... any thoughts on being able to wear heels down the line, folks? (I don't mean LIVE in heels... I never did that myself... it'd just be nice to know if occasional heels are possible) xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.