To far sighted to put gel in eyes after surgery.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 66, had cataract surgery in both eyes in the last 3 weeks. They put a AcrySoft 14.5 power in the left eye and a 13 in the left. I'm happy with my far vision especially the night vision and a 3x power bifocal reader works reasonably well for most things close up. However when I take my readers off, I can barely make out my eyes and trying to put the gel in I need to use for my dry eyes is impossible.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if they have any suggestions...

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi jwrhn,

Jazz had same problem...3 weeks is very early in the healing process. This has long been a issue with both my cataract surgeries. Dry eye is common and the surgeon can treat with a variety of meds. The best one was a squeeze tube of oily gel like med that coated the eye , apply at bed time, It took a few months for my eyes to calm down from the whole process. 

Happy to hear ur happy with the outcome of your vision. It's amazing huh! Once the eye calms down you will see better that before. Remember the restrictions that we are given by the surgeon. For several weeks. Sneezing bending over to fast etc. 

peace & Healing 

• Posted

If you can't cope with the gel, then use drops often & keep them by your bed, so that you can use them overnight.

You may even learn to use the gel too.  I have had dry eyes for 40 years & can almost do the drop administration in my sleep.  

Good luck!

• Posted

I guess my question was not clear. The problem I have is that I cannot see the tip of the dropper without the bifocals. Can't see anything within 6 inches of the surface of my eye. 

With drops they end up all over my face and it I try the gel I end up poking myself in the eye...

• Posted

I understood your question.  I can instil drops in the dark & get them in my eyes.  I can feel the edge of the dopper on my eyelashes.  The gel is more difficult, I agree

• Posted

I also do the drops flat on my back
  • Posted

It seems that your surgeon did not pick the lens of the best power for you and overcorrected. Looking at the bifocal reader, which you say that you need, you are probably farsighted by +0.5 D or +0.75 D. There may also be some astigmatism. Before you do anything, you should get the exact prescription for both eyes and also, find out the best corrected vision in each eye.

LASIK enhancement with mini-monovision option is one of the possible ways for you to get good distance and intermediate vision (with about 1.5D reader needed for fine print reading). However, if you ever used contact lenses, you can achieve a similar result with those.

• Posted

I am scheduled to have the followup for the prescription glasses in three weeks, I've just been trying bifocal readers I can buy at the local pharmacy until then. They told me going in I'd need glasses after and I'm fine with that as I've been wearing them nearly 60 years.

The problem I have is that without glasses if I put a finger one or two inches in front of my eye it disappears and if I look at my eyes very close up in a plane mirror I can't even see the very bushy eyelashes that I know are still there..

I'm wondering if some type of magnifying mirror would work close up and if so what power...

• Posted

Hi, 

A magnifying morror is a great idea until your eyes settle after cataract surgery. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.