To have Prostate operation or not

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi i am 59  and have had typical prostate problems for maybe 20 years poor flow need to go a lot etc, the urologists wanted to give me a Turp about 15 years ago or they said i could do watchfull waiting! of course i went for this, last year i had a PSA test and got a surprise it was 5 they said wait two months and it came dowm to 2.8 then 2.4 which they tell me is normal? but why did it go up in the first place? and they wanted to

do a turp again i preffered Holep so went to see a urologist a long way from me as they dont do it in the hospitals aroung here and i wanted nhs the urologist there asked me what is my quality of life like, i think its ok i jst have to pee a lot! so he said wait until it gets worse i was quiet surprised by this i am only retaining about 10 mls apparently i know im rambling on a bit here but any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Look up info aboit having a PAE before you allow them to perform a TURP on you. TURP comes with complications, personally I just think it's barbaric. There are a great number of us on this blog who've had multiple visit to the bathroom as well as BPH. Urologist tried to get me to have a TURP years ago, but I did due diligence about the side effects, a friemd had it performed on him and was riddled with infections & couldn't get an erections. I chose to wait years until better technology was available, and I'm glad I did. Godspeed!
  • Posted

Hi Grant - I'm 74 and had the same problem for around 15 years, with urologists recommending TURP, but me deciding to 'wait and see' which I have done, taking tamsulosin and latterly finasteride to relax muscles and shrink prostate, which ended up at over 150g (much too large for TURP anyway). Earlier this year after a weak stream and one or two night visits, I had total retention, went to A&E (ER) locally, and new uro recommended a HoLEP which has been the best advice ever! Apart from RE which is really not a problem, I'm 3 months down the road with no apparent issues - and as the others have comfirmed, we can all pee like a racehorse! I shall go through the normal blood checks in due course, and report back to the group. HoLEP is possible at some NHS hospitals, just Google 'HoLEP in UK on NHS' and there are many around the country.
    • Posted

Well Holep sounds promising better then turp anyway, yes i had trouble finding a hospital around here that does holep so have to go about 2 hours away, i have not had retention yet!! it seems the last urologist inferred i should wait for that but maybe not a good idea!

• Posted

TURP or Holeph or Greenlight laser are result in the removal of prostate material.  I opted for Greenlight surgery in early March.  I was totally inconinent eight weeks afterwards, and an examination showed that there was a lot of attached residue in the uretha that was preventing healing.  So a second procedure, call Cyrus Turp was done in early May to clear out the residue.  Now, two months later, I'm still totally incontinent.  I'm going to a therapist in the practice who has me doing Kegel and other exercises all day long.  My day seems to consist of doing exercises that have had not discernable effect yet, washing up and putting on a dry pad and Depends, or distracting myself at the computer.  I had the surgery to try to avoid getting up 3-5 times at night.  I still get up 2-3 times as enough urnine stays in when I'm flat on my back to cause the urge to go.  So I hustle to the toilet and pee between 250 and 450 ml pretty quickly.  Then back to bed to try to get back to sleep without worrying that this will last forever.  I've had a UTI, the first of my 77 years and am still on antibitotics for that.  My quality of life is at best 20% of what it was when I had the first procedure.   I know that TURP works out fine for a lot of people, but for me its seems to be a FUBAR at the moment.
    • Posted

EDIT (sorry, didn't sleep much last night)

Turp or Holeph or Greenlight laser all result....

My day seems to consist of doing exercises that have had no discernable effect yet.   My day seems to consist of doing exercises that have no discernable effect as of today, and washing up and putting on a Depends and dry pad.

I still get up 2-3 times at night...

• Posted

im sorry to hear about your problems after this surgery it just shows what can go wrong i wish you the best and hope that things improve.
    • Posted

Glenn..... my research led me to believe HoLEP is very different from TURP or GL, the later involving burning the prostate tissue, the former cutting it up (morcelating it), and removing it. Burning the tissue leaves scar tissue and other remnants which often require repeat procedures.  By removing the tissue with HoLEP, they can then biopsy it for cancer, which is not possible with TURP or GL. 

All this is obviously too late for Grant.  If anyone has had HoLEP and experienced the need for additional procedures, I'd like to hear about it.  I've been following this blog for 5 months and haven't seen it yet.

• Posted

Are you on an alpha-blocker?
    • Posted

No i took tamsulusin for a long time but no effect on me, so now only taking herbal products and they probably are only pychologically effective.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.