To Hernia or To Not Hernia? That is the question.

Posted , 6 users are following.

So, I have NO idea if this is a hernia or not. I'm not one for doc visits, and I like to get a feel for what I might have before spending a grand on doc tests just to find out it was nothing.

Experiences:

?-Discomfort/Tightness in Lower-Mid Left Rib

-Slight burning sensation/ Warmth there (Though it may have been from me poking and prodding at it)

?-I feel as if it needs to..pop? Or something needs to click? (Every time I move I feel like whatever it is, it could move or slide out of..place.)

?-There is NO BULGE. I've looked closely at my ribs, and I do not see any abnormalities there.

?I've always had a popping/clicking in my left rib when I did certain things like take deep breaths or lay down certain ways, where I can press into my rib and it clicks- but I was told that that is normal for ribs to do (even though I've never felt my right one do it). I do not know if it has any correlation to this tightness/burning sensation, but it seems to always be the left rib being funky.

?I'm a CNA, so I do heavy lifting on a day-to-day basis. Could it be a pulled abdomen muscle?

?My overall question is: Could this be a hernia, and do I need to see a doctor?

If I do need to see a doctor, is there a specific kind of doctor I should be seeing? I don't have a personal doctor, and I don't have insurance that covers checkups so- this would be out of pocket (which I REALLY don't want to do at all).

?Note: The picture is where the discomfort/burning is coming from.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi. You should really go to your GP first. It could possibly be a hiatal hernia????? Best to have it looked at. I am sorry your health expenses are so high. I live in Australia and most doctors visits and public hospital costs are covered by Medicare and free to the patient or at least the costs are partially covered.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Noiret, I am not a doctor and don't pretend to be. I'm just a retired RN who has seen a lot in 45 years. Your symptoms and the picture you posted do not look or sound like a hernia. For one thing, the location is not in a place where a hernia would normally be unless you have had surgery in that area. 

I am inclined toward your own diagnosis of a pulled muscle from the hard work you do. The other thing that comes to mind is a cracked rib which would also be possible in your type of work. 

You said you had no insurance or private doctor. So I have two suggestions. 

1) Consult employee health where you work

2) consider workman's compensation from a possible work related injury.

Hope this information is helpful. 

• Posted

3) you could go to Emergency Room at any NON PRIVATELY owned hospital where you live. 
  • Posted

Do a CT scan at any hospital, is not expensive, 
    • Posted

She has NO private doctor and NO insurance . CT scans can cost thousands of dollars.
    • Posted

I don’t think CT cost thousands of dollars, depends which country you are talking about but no way that can be more than 250 USD 
    • Posted

The cost of CT scan in the United States can vary from $270- $4800. This depends on which state you live in, which facility in which CT is done and most importantly, what part of body is being imaged along with contrast or no contrast. 
  • Posted

Everything you just explained was me for 5 yrs finally a dr figured it out and mine started in the left side under my ribs and into my side and Back it was a hiatal hernia but mine was a paraesophageal hernia where the intire stomach slipped up into my chest I couldn’t eat sleep sit I had my surgery in March and I’m doing fine now

• Posted

Could you click your ribs also? Mine doesn't bother me all the time but the tightness comes and goes and I can always click/pop my rib at the noted areas. I'm able to eat and everything, but maybe you could too until a certain point?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.