To keep or op to remove the gallbladder?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have recently diagnosed with gallstones. In the report it's written there are multiple mobile calculi, Gallbladder wall is normal, Pancreas tail has some gas rest of them unremarkable. No free fluid. My GP said to do nothing. But I am so worried about possible complication that may cause without treating the gallstones like f.e. pancreatitis, stoned lodged in duct bile and possibilities of gb cancer. However, after so many request GB decided to set up an appointment with a Surgeon (My plan is to discuss with him the pros and cons). Now I see there are lots of people with so many complications even after removing the GB including pancreatitis. I understand there are risks in keeping, risks in removing. Which one do you think would be suitable for me? Please note I got first 2 round of chest pain over a year ago, I had no pain for the next 8 months.. last 2 got 2/3 months ago so went to doctor and requested her to give a ultrasound (which she was reluctant to give at first place), None of the pain was very severe/hard to tolerate (kind of like gastric pain) and lasted for around 20-30 min.. Please note I can eat regular stuffs without any issues..even I didn't have any pain after eating any fatty food like most of the people have..so I'm confused should it be under asymptotic or asymptotic..Over the last 2 months I can feel there is something in the chest but no pain..now considering everything do you think I should ask for a surgery to the surgeon or  just hold it off & wait and see as decided by GP? Thanks in Advance

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to decide how much it is affecting you. After having my second attack in April, I then went on to end up in constant pain in stomach and back and constant nausea. Even tramadol and morphine weren’t helping much and neither were any anti sickness tablets. So I knew I needed it out even if there would be negative side effects, I couldn’t go on living in that amount of pain. 

Because you have gallstones and the stones are mobile, there is always a risk of one blocking a bile duct to liver or pancreas. There’s no right or wrong answers but always a good idea to discuss any concerns on either decision with surgeon you’re seeing xx

• Posted

Sam.

hi I think you should take the advice or at least consider it of the consultant surgeon you are waiting to see !!

if the surgeon says leave it wait and watch then I would do just that.

and if the surgeon says remove it I would consider that !!

good luck.

• Posted

Hi Sam, people with gallstones live with them all their lives and they never cause any problems, its only when you start to get symptoms do gastros start to look at removing them. If its not causing you a great deal of problems they may watch and wait and see what happens and it may never get worse. Sometimes gallstones can move into the entrance of the gallbladder which can cause issues but then as soon as they drop back into the gallbladder the issues stop hence why doctors tend to wait and see. 

Alot have their gallbladders out as they are in constant pain and can't eat anything and not everyone has problems after surgery, I know people that don't have any issues after removal.

Unfortunately we can't tell you what to do but I've seen alot of people on this site that have left since gallbladder removal so I can only take from that that they don't need the site anymore.

Keep in touch with what you decide, its a big decision so don't rush into it. Take care.

• Posted

Thanks Katherine, I will keep you posted. however, I just googled the location of gallbladder pain, it seems my pain was little above in the chest location ( atleast the last 2), It could be simply acid reflux problem.. I have a feeling my gallstones are asymptotic.. let's see what the Surgeon say. However I know there are lots of controversies related to Liver Flush..some say it works..some say doesn't..the stone that they think are just chemical stuffs made by olive oil and Epsom salt.. Did you ever try that? I wanted to try but there are 2 problems..1) stone can be lodged into bile and that would be an Emergency  (I am really scared about emergency after reading so much story about waiting for hours with severe issues) 2) Epsom salt can damage small intestine.. I also wanted to try some natural product sold at Amazon with loads of positive review which looks too good to be true (Infact just ordered one Stone Free or something)..However now I see there are risks as well.. it contains gravel root which is not likely safe for health and can cause cancer (even though it actually works to dissolve/cleanse gall and kidney stone)!! To sum up nothing is risk free!   

• Posted

Hi Sam, it might be worth them doing an endoscopy to check your stomach, I know they did with me after the ultrasound to look for ulcers and they also did biopsies, it all came back as normal though.

I ended up with a non functioning gallbladder but in constant pain, my mum has gallstones but she doesn't have any issues so they'll stay there. 

Speak to the surgeon and see what he says, yes stones can move but if its not bothering you at this time it might not ever reoccur. It took 7 months for my diagnosis so I've done alot of research into it as well as speaking to people on here.

Don't panic yourself with what might happen, its not happening now so don't stress yourself and those issues may never happen.

Take the guidance from the surgeon they may just watch and wait as I mentioned before if its not causing you problems.

To be honest I don't think there's a natural product that helps with this problems, on the nhs there is medication for those that are high risk for surgery but it takes years to break the stone down, even if it works at all so if it makes you feel better then thats upto you but just keep a healthy diet and cut down on high fat foods, or rich foods and live your life.

When is your appointment with the surgeon? 

• Posted

Thanks katherine,

I know I panic on everything so quickly, can't help myself sad I'm from Canada and here getting an appointment takes several months, I still didn't get my appointment date with Surgeon, it will take 7/8 months to get the appointment date and another 5/6 months If I want to go for Surgery. Even for emergency Surgery it could take 2 months+!!! That's what bothering me most, what if something serious happen and I do not get a quick date for Surgery, I do not even know how many stones do I have and the sizes of the stones. They just mentioned there are multiple mobile Calculi.

I ordered the Stone Free natural medicine from Amazon after seeing the reviews.. but in dilemma if they are safe to take. 

• Posted

I would like to think that if its urgent in the fact that its life threatening then any hospital will do emergency surgery.

Obviously I can't say about the meds from Amazon but I'm in the belief that if you're not suffering then leave it alone as you don't want to aggravate things. Let me know how you get on.

Canada is a lovely country, I've been to British Columbia skiing several times and it was wonderful.

• Posted

Hi katherine42413, I just met with my surgeon and added my experience in my comment. Hope you are doing fine.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your invaluable inputs, Frankly it's not affecting me at all. I can eat whatever I want to eat..Never had any issues with eating red meat, pizza or fat stuffs like people have. Interesting thing is I didn't know the location of typical gallbladder attack, after searching online I just noticed it's actually under Breast/Chest , I cannot recall my first two attack, but the last two that happened I clearly recall it was above breast/Chest (Lung location), that's why my GP didn't want to give ultrasound at first place rather gave chest xray which came out good. To sum up, I do have gallstones but may be it's asymptotic ..but It's true still there are risks..Let's see what the Surgeon say..it would take 7/8 months to get the appointment!

• Edited

Take advice from your surgeon. They do not operate unless they have to. There are so many patients waiting for this surgery. The consequences of hanging onto a sick gallbladder are worse than any post surgery issue in my opinion. Many who have issues after surgery also have other health issues which affect their outcome. You need to be sensible over diet, exercise and weight but most do recover well. The people who post problems are the minority- the tip of the gallbladder iceberg.
    • Posted

Thanks Beenthruit,

I will do that..Fortunately we do not have to pay for this operations..it's covered by our government so Surgeons don't want to do operation unless it's absolutely required.. I'm following healthy diet.. no red meat, fatty stuffs at all, maintaining a healthy BMI and light exercise regularly.. but after hearing this I cannot concentrate on my job..regular work or anything..it's affecting my regular life sad

• Posted

Is there anyone in the forum who is maintaining gallstones without operation for years? My GP said he got gallstones when he was 20, now he is 68 without any treatment
  • Posted

Guys, Just to let you know that I met with Surgeon today, he listened all of my concerns very carefully and suggested not to do anything now since I don't have any pain or issues that related with gallbladder. He said taking it out is fun for him (!) but there are no benefits to take it out to make me better since I'm already better now, no point to take a healthy gallbladder out which can make complications with other organ like liver who knows. He also said you may need it to it out in future may be when you 80 or may be after a week but nothing to do with it now since it's not causing any issues or an symptoms like Nausea, Pain, discomfort, diarrhea etc. I'm really happy talking to this surgeon and completely satisfied with his explanation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.