to kneel or not to kneel after total knee replacement

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had tkr feb 13, 2018.  I'm doing really well.  back to all my exercise classes.  some exercises are on hands and knees.  Does anyone have a problem putting pressure on their kneecap, as in kneeling?  when I do, it feels sensitive, uncomfortable, and just not right.  maybe I'm not ready yet.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I had TKR in March of 2017. It feels strange to kneel, not really pain just strange and uncomfortable. So I think what your feeling is normal. It is metal on flesh after all.
    • Posted

that's exactly how I describe it,  I feel the metal parts touching the inside flesh.  but it really doesn't hurt.  just feels weird.  I'm going to give it another month before I try it again.  thanks everyone for your responses!

• Posted

Before my TKR the consultant said that afterwards I wouldn't enjoy kneeling and to avoid it.

• Posted

RTKR May 17 17 LTKR August 23 17 I can kneel comfortable on left if the surface isn't to hard but right knee bruises. So if you kneel use padding and trust your body to tell you want to do

• Posted

I'm not as far as you and haven't tried kneing but I lave metal in my foot near my big toe and thus feels completely different to my right foot. Consultant told me it was the metal and would never feel the same. You're doing fab so who really wants to kneel

• Posted

I don’t like kneeling at all on my knee even after the first one seven years ago
  • Posted

I'm 5 1/2 months both knees. I try getting on my knees in little ways; like using one knee to get onto my bed (which is very soft); quickly rolling over onto my knees and quickly getting up from a floor position. Sometimes you have no other option. I don't prefer it but I was told by my surgeon I could kneel but to make sure the surface is padded. I think I also heard not to be on your knees for a long time either. The more padded, the less it feels weird. For me, it doesn't so much hurt but it feels numb. But I still am numb anyway after only 5 1/2 months. Part of me is scared I will break something. I'd rather get much stronger before I really test it Our muscles must be what is holding our new knees together more than the prosthesis is. All those ligaments and muscles must be the glue keeping things tight. I feel good knowing I am doing the right thing in getting my knees stronger each week at the gym.

• Posted

The sensation you feel is most likely nerve pain.  Very typical, especially when kneeling on hard surfaces.  I'm 2+ years post-op and still feel it.  TKR veterans say that it lessens over time, others say that it never fully goes away.  Small price to pay.  The nerves have been sliced and you live with it.  There can be zero damage to the implant itself as it's all metal and plastic.  Use a 3"-4" foam pad indoors and padded tactical knee pads for outside work.  Simple solution.

• Posted

I was waiting to hear from the "knee guru".  Thanks Chico. it does feel much better with foam pad!  but I don't always have it with me. 

• Posted

I am at 10 months and kneeling still feels strange.

?My doctor doesn't like the idea of me kneeling. But he said if I kneel use foam pads of kneel pads. He said if I kneel on hard surface I might crack the knee cap. Because they shave the knee cap a little to insert a plastic piece under the knee cap 

?Be careful with your floor exercises and kneeling

• Posted

I specifically asked my surgeon about this issue. If my knee cap was fragile and could crack because they thin it out to put the button underneath. He said NO, they only take off about 1/3 thickness of the knee cap and that your knee cap is still strong and not to worry about that.  I'm in California, where are you? I wonder if it differs by country or state? And how new your prosthetic is?

• Posted

You want to listen to 'Chico Marx" he always has great advice. I'm going on 4 years and kneeling is still a bit tricky. I always use a pad of some sort. I go down on the 'good' knee first then put my replaced knee down. It feels strange but doesn't hurt. I have knelt on carpeting w/o a pad and I tend to lean toward the 'good' leg and less on the replaced knee. It all depends on the person and what they can tolerate. Some doctors say not to kneel ever, others leave it up to the person. You're only a little into 4 months so (I personally wouldn't try it) I'd give it a little more time. Or try it gently and see how it goes. We're all different. Good luck!

• Posted

I’d say if it hurts probably don’t do it! Yet anyway! 
  • Posted

I had TKR 12 yes ago. Still can't kneel. Wouldn't even try. Was told at the beginning not to, so I don't. I hate pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.