to much predisone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Does anyone here take 150 mg of predisone and what will it do to you?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

https://patient.info/health/oral-steroids

Long term use caused my mom's tissue to thin/weaken. Her surgeries often had to be repeated. Drs likened "sewing" her up to trying to stitch together 2 pieces of wet toilet paper.

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

• Posted

I assume you are on a short taper of such a high dose for a severe flare?

It will very probably cause you to feel quite high - some people say they feel like the Duracell bunny! Possibly shaky and you very probably won't be able to sleep. 

Why are you on such a high dose and for how long? Are you sure that is the dose the doctor meant?

• Posted

Well I screwed up. He ordered 5 pills of 50 mg and I thought I was taking some that I had left over from a while back. After I got to looking at the bottle it was 50 mg instead of my usual dose. I am doing ok this morning so I guess it won't kill me. I think my usual dose is 20 mg. I would take 3 for 3 days, 2 for 3 days, then 1 for 3 days. I spoke with him the last visit and he said that I could just take them until the flare was over and that would be good.
    • Posted

I wondered if something like that had happened! It will have given the flare a good hiding I should think!

I'm on pretty much permanent pred but at a low dose - it is the only thing that works for PMR - but sometimes 60mg/day is used for GCA (giant cell arteritis) to start with. In exceptional cases they use 100mg. So hearing you say 150mg did seem like not entirely the right thing!

I wouldn't want to be on that sort of dose for more than a day but i'm sure you'll be fine. You won't have tablets left though now????

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.