To remove gallbladder or not?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had constant burping, belching, gas & bloating for a year & half. I've had 2 episodes of gallbladder symptoms. 6 months ago had ruptured appendix. I've had lower back pain & shoulder blade pain. My gallbladder is only operating at 14%. Doc said I should have it removed & it should resolve my burping issues. He put me on omeprozole which really doesn't work. I'm confused what to do???? Someone suggested it could be my liver & not my gallbladder ? But wouldn't it be if it's only operating at 14%???? Confused?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello, If you haven't already had them ask for bloods to be done and liver function test (which is in blood results) ,also a ultra sound to check for stones in gallbladder. You do tend to get very bad bloating and gas and the pain you describe does appear very familiar to gallbladder problems. Yor Dr is right have your gallbladder removed especially as it's only operating at 14%, then hopefully your problem will disappear. Good luck.

• Posted

I understand your reluctance to have your GB removed. Please know that your GB functioning will not improve, that it will only worsen. It is an organ that no longer works optimally. Best of luck.
    • Posted

Thank you. I appreciate the response to help me better understand my decision.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I had a hida scan done. Dr said gallbladder, bingo! I have no stones though.
    • Posted

I've also had ultra sound done too. Wouldn't all that show liver functioning? I guess blood work is important too. I'm just wondering why they didn't do that?

• Posted

Hi April, You definately need your gallbladder removed if its only working at 14%, as joys said it won't get better. Mine's the same at only 14% and I have surgery on 1st March. They think I have other issues too but they won't know which pain is what until I have my gallbladder removed. As above if you haven't had bloods taken then you need too and that will check your liver function and see if there's anything else going on.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi April, I've been reading your conversations and I'm just wondering are you in pain all the time or only when you eat? 

• Posted

No I'm not. I've only had episodes of gall bladder attack. I'm just dealing with constant indigestion, gas & bloating. I do have a slight ache on my right side under my rib cage that radiates to my back.

I'm all for taking it out if it's not functioning well; however, I'm then concerned about how it will affect my liver in the future. My mother had Auto immune hepatitis which lead to other serious health problems. Worried

• Posted

Hi April, I was just curious as we all seem to have some of the same symptoms but they also vary alot. I wouldn't worry about effecting the liver as it works independantly. Don't forget that the liver is an organ that can repair itself the gallbladder can't, ithe gallbladder is a storage vessel  for bile but thats it, which is why the gallbladder can come out and life can carry on. Also I noticed that you had an ultrasound before and they would've checked over the liver at the same time.

Did you go back to have your bloods done as the liver function tests will show any problems there.

I can understand that you're worried because of your family history but you do need to concentrate on getting yourself better and take one step at a time. You know that your gallbladder isn't functioning properly so just deal with that issue first and once that's happened if you do have any further symptoms afterwards then your doctor can help with the diagnosis of those later but from everything I've read it may all be down to the gallbladder.

Look after yourself April and keep us updated with your progress.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your responses. This has really helped me better understand my decision to have my GB removed. I will keep you updated. Thank you again.
  • Posted

I agree with all the other responses - esp. liver enzyme test to see if that is okay, along with gall bladder.  Did your test show stones or not?  That can make a little difference - mine had none, but was only at 21% and just pretty scarred up. if it is stones then you can talk with your Dr. about is there anythign they can do to dissolve them vs. the surgery?  They woudl know on that one-

Pulling for you here in the States-

Jonna

• Posted

Thank you Jonna. I have no stones. I've had ultra sound & Hida scan I also had an ruptured appendix 6months ago?!

• Posted

Sounds liek then it probably needs to come out - I am not aware of anything out there to restore a poorly functioning non-stones GB issue - if nayone reading this is, I woudl love to hear it.  The blood work should show liver enzymes.  Do you currently eat a lot of fat in your diet?  You may want to cut that WAY down, to minimal and see if that helps at all with the current digestive issues you face - it could not hurt and will lessen gall bladder pain while you consider/plan for gb surgery.

Wishing you well-

Jonna

• Posted

Hi Jonna. Thank you for your help. I'm trying to eat very little fat to see if it makes a difference in my digestion issues. I don't have constant pain, but I've had to episodes of a GB attack. One was worse than the other, but didn't know what it was at the time. I'm now having pain on the right side of my back under my rib cage. Ugh! Can't wait for this to be better. I've been dealing with this for over a year now. Thanks for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.