To repair a rectocele or not..

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am new to this forum, I joined after having a posterior vaginal repair for a rectocele on Friday just gone. I just wanted to share my experience as I feel it may help someone who may be wondering if it is worth going through the surgery. 

I am 54 years old, I have had two natural childbirths ( over 35 years ago) with no major issues. I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 2004 because of endometriosis. I have chronic asthma which causes me to cough very hard and deep putting a great strain on my 'nether regions' 

I started to notice something odd in the undercarriage a few months ago, my bladder, which had been super strong since my hysterectomy, was no longer as good as it used to be, I would also feel something 'pop' in my vagina whenever I coughed, so I started holding myself whenever a coughing fir occured. Things got worse in the bowel department too and I started to get badly constipated too, it just didn't feel right, when I strained, it felt like it was coming forward into my vagina rather than going down into the loo, if I put my fingers in, I could feel it bulging and I had to push it back to be able to actually go. I visited Dr Google.. (and cleared my search history !) and up popped rectocele! It fit my symptoms perfectly, a brief trip to my GP and an internal confirmed it. She referred my to the same Gynae who did my hysterectomy and I had my repair done on Friday, one overnight stay and home on Saturday with pain killers and strict instructions to rest as much as possible for 4 weeks, then 2 weeks of light household duties - IE: dusting, NO hoovering, standing for long periods of time etc. 

So today is Wednesday, I am sore down below, but nothing major, no worse than when I had my children and had an episiotomy, I have mild cramping in my stomach and do feel tired. I am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which are helping with the discomfort, and lactulose. I still hold myself when coughing, that is normal, it hurts my stitches! but there is no popping sensation! And Joy of Joy... I can go to the toilet!!!! no strain! no pain, no feeling that I haven't voided completely.. I had forgotten how great it felt to have a good proper poo! I almost cried with relief.

I read so many websites about this repair and wondered if it was worth the aggravation of surgery, should I just poke up with the problem and accept it as part of my life, I know I am only on day 5 of my recovery but By God the difference is incredible already. If you are in doubt about having it done, get yourself a damn good gynae - ask for stitches, not mesh - and go for it, and be prepared to rest to recover. 

Sorry to waffle on, but I am so happy to be seeing an improvement already, just wanted to share it... back to resting now, hubby has put the kettle on again  biggrin

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear pearl I'm the only Spanish woman (as far as I know) in the forum excuse me for my mistakes with the language ☺️ You don't know how grateful I am that generous women like you tell their experiences with surgery.

As you have done I visited dr Google many times and everything I have read about rectocele surgery is bad, except this forum.

This forum gathers real experiences good and bad, but mostly good, which is hopeful.

I had ant repair and hyst 5 months ago and have a rectocele since the surgery, it wasn't there before. Just yesterday I forgot to take my stool softener and today I have had problems to poo, in fact I haven't been able; I have realized that I really need the surgery, and then I have read your message.

Thanks a lot for sharing, you don't have nothing to earn doing this, but I think you all ladies are earning a piece of heaven.

I've had today also an app with my physio, I continue exercising, but he has asked: how do you feel? And I have said: exactly the same. Now I'm facing physiotherapy with the aim to strength my muscles but I think ( I wish I were wrong) my rectocele is not going to come back to the initial state.

So thank you again for your words, they are really appreciated. By the way I will have stitches, not mesh. I have an app with my gyn in June, hope I can have an open conversation with him about the rectocele op I only need him to say: everything is going to be fine... Hugs my dear 😘😘

• Posted

You English is very very good, so no need to apologise. I am taking 15 ml of lactulose in the morning and in the evening - I am bad,  I do not like vegetables, and I know I should eat more fruit! Now I am starting to eat fruit, and veg more, I know I must! Be open with you gynae, they have seen and heard it all before x
    • Posted

Pearl I'm not very fond of vegetables and what I do is prepare veggy purées and fruit smoothies. 😉
  • Posted

My god I forgot to wish you a good recovery, take care my darling!!! Let us know how you are doing the next days. 😘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.