To take, or not to take HRT!

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm 50 years old and haven't had a period for 22 months.  I began getting hot flushes soon after my periods stopped but they came and went, usually only lasting for a few weeks and then going for months.  They came back last October and haven't left this time. They are disturbing my sleep and I'm dreading hot weather.  I tried HRT in January but the GP gave me the wrong type and it made me have a period so I stopped taking it (I do not want periods again).  I went back and was given Kliofem, which also made me start to 'spot' so I came off immediately and had a full blown period.  Having read information the effects of HRT I'm pretty terrified about taking it - I meet women who tell me that they've taken it for years and it's wonderful, and others that say they wouldn't touch it - including my Mum and Aunt.  Am I being paranoid and suffering needlessly?  My GP said there are lots of others to try but I don't want to be worried in case I start an unexpected period all the time or that I will develop womb or breast cancer.  Also, I have a history of heart disease in my family. Arrrgh!  Going round in circles!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I've posted extensively on Bioidentical HRT here so I won't repeat everything all over again. 

If you engage in any form of "HRT" you have these 3  options:

- Plant based: for progesterone Vitex + Yams for oestrogen Black Cohosh , soy Isofavones, etc

- BHRT - bioidentical HRT - phaumaceutical that haver the same molecules as the ones you have in your hormones: Progesterone - Utrogestan; oestrogen_ estradiol patches or gels;

- HRT - standard - this is the one that's cobnsidered the most dangerous and it's the one that was assessed negatively by the WHI 2002. 

My suggestion: never ever take "progestins"  - only natural progesterone and never ever take oral estradiol - just transdermal. You should be fine. 

However to combine natural progesterone and estradiol most doctors will suggest you to take them on a cyclic bais that mimes your owna natural 28 cycle. Bottom line: you most likely have periods. This is the safest option...

Ifg however you insist on not having period: you can do a 21-22 day/month continuous use of low dose natural progesterone (Utrogestan) + transdermal estradiol, then stop for a week and restart. Withthis option you should be able to be menstruation free. 

There's a lot toread about it. I suggest you to go to CEMCOR's website and read through. 

Take care. Teresa.

• Posted

I'm sorr but I've pressed enter before finishing... I hope you get what I mean..
    • Posted

Hi Teresa,

Thanks for replying in such detail.  I will look into what you are saying - it sounds quite complicated.  Can I buy natural progesterone or ask for it from my GP?  You suggest that taking HRT that forces a period is the safest option, is that correct?  Finally, by transdermal do you mean patches?

Warm regards,

Trish

• Posted

Hi Trish, 

I' m guessing you're in the UK... if you're in the US you have a few more options. So, If you're in the UK, or EU: 

- natural progesterone, also named Oral Micronized Progesterone (OMP) is prescription whose name is Utrogestan; the GP should be able to prescribe it; if you go for cyclic ( most likely implying having periods) you'll take it for 12 days each moth before "period".  

- Then you complement ths with estradiol (oestrogen) for 3 weeks; they overlap for some of this time; transdermal means the product's intake is through the skin - it can be patches or rub on gel.

What's safest is a matter for discussion with your Gyno (I would advise you to ask for a referral) based on your health history. It may even be that they consider the continuous system ( 3 weeks of both hormones + 1 week stop) is perfect for you and then you'll be period free. The cyclic system is to mime the female body's way of homones output - so considered more safe - but  as I said subject to assessment.

I would (I don't know if you're alredy using this) use some estriol (extra mild form of oestrogen) cream in the vulvar/vaginal area as it sustains local health and is virtually risk free even for cancer patients. The brand name is Ovestin and for this you'll also need a prescription.

If you have more doubts feel free to post them here. Take care. Teresa.

• Posted

PS - as you'll see from CEMCOR's website OMP - Oral Micronized Progesterone in the US and Canada brand name is Prometrium instead of Utrogestan in Europe. Different name same product.
    • Posted

Thanks for all your help Teresa - that has given me something to work with smile
    • Posted

I'm PM you a "hot flushes" specific  link .
  • Posted

Hello mrpip64

Firstly my suggestion is get a Blood test, this will tell you if you are peri meno or full menopause.  Its unfortunate , but you will get a period no matter what you are prescribed.  I have posted before and my story what repost I am sure you will find it. Dont be a saint coz when it interrupt sleep its time to act.  HRT over a long say 7-10 years can be harmful, but if you keep a check on it ...as you are the only one that knows your body I think you will find your answers.

• Posted

Thanks smile  It's so hard not to be paranoid about the increased risks of breast and womb cancer - really not sure still, but I appreciate all the advice x
  • Posted

Hello M

You are the only one that can make a decision on what to try witht the guidance of your GP.  Whatever you take you are going to be a guinea pig like all of us.

Take care

Dianna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.