To Take or not to Take...That is the Question? SolTab (Mirtazapine)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone am new to this forum so hope I post in the right place lol

I too have been on a low dose of SolTab (Mirtazapine) 1/2 tab at night (15mg) it was fantastic with helping me to sleep all night through as well with my anxiety and depression. However I found that I had very swollen feet, calves and ankles to the point where I thought they were going to burst [sad]

My doctor now changed me to Zoloft 25mg in the morning. I am kind of reluctant to start them as I have heard people say that the cause insomnia which I already have and don't need more help with. As well as it causes weight gain another department I don't need any help in.

Can anyone say if they have been on either of these or both at one point or another and which they found to be better? I know we are all different and all can have different effects, but it would be a great help to hear about other peoples perspective on these two

thanks so much in advance hope to hear from someone

André

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If you can avoid getting dependant on Mirtazapine, then you won't be going through the hell of trying to get off it down the line at some point. Check this site, or Google mirtazapine withdrawal for some valuable education. Good Luck!
    • Posted

Hi David,

thanks for the advice. Im going to stop the Mirt ASAP and have been given Zoloft to try instead. Hopefully they will be kinder to me lol

thanks for the luck I need it! :p

• Posted

Hi Andre,

If you really really don't need mirtazapine then I would advise against starting it, it's a great drug for depression & sleeping but boy it's hard to come off!!! Please read through the forums & especially David's journey on coming off mirt, may help you to think twice.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Brandy,

thanks so much for your advice. I think Im going to stop them have only been on them for 4 weeks now so like you said the risk of WD shouldnt be too bad yet.

thanks again smile

• Posted

Hi I am on day 6 on mirtazipine and I really can't fault it so far all antidepressants come withdrawals I have been on many and by far is coming off venlafaxine and paroxatine we are all different đŸ˜‰
    • Posted

Hi Louise thanks for your info I hope Mirt works well for you with minimal side effects and your journey on them is a good one. I agree we are all different with side effects etc but for me I just dont think they agree with me

smile

• Posted

Hi Andre, 

A while back in this forum someone mentioned the same swollen feet ankles with mirt. My advise is to get off quickly as it most likey is caused from Mirt. That way you won't have to deal with the WD symptoms. It sounds like it's not the right one for you. Mirt WD is un like any AD withdrawl it can actually be a very long long road of physical illness. I would talk with your doctor about something else, as soon as you can . Good luck ! 

• Posted

Hi Rose,

thank you for your info and advice. I am definitely going to stop Mirt, there really arent for me at all. I think we all have a bad enough time without having to go through the bad WD on top of it all. My doc has given me Zolof to try instead so we will see how they treat me. 

thanks again smile

• Posted

Zoloft worked well for me but the docs weren't happy with my progress. Now I am on a really low dose of Mirtazapine. The doc thinks its doing something. I don't.

I have swollen feet but if it is going to do something then swollen feet is fine.

I have put on a stone and a half in weight and have stuck to a salad and fruit only diet with very low carbs for two weeks and it has done nothing other than slow the weight gain down.

Again if I am going to be fat, swollen and anxiety free then thats fine by me but at the moment I am fat, swollen and anxious.

Lizzie

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

Mirtazapine is well known for weightgain, I was on it for 3yrs & gained 4stone! No amount of healthy eating or exercise helped shift it.

Mirtazapine helped me with anxiety & depression & sleep.

However the withdrawal when coming off it vary from person to person & can be horrendous, if you don't feel any better on mirt tell the Dr that you really don't feel as though it's helping.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Brandy,

Thank you for your comment. Did the weight shift when you came off them?

• Posted

Hi Lizzie, when I first came off them I done one of those 7 day diets that you're not supposed to do lol however lost 10lb in a week which gave me a good boost to get the weight off, it's coming off slowly but not as fast as it went on - prob my own fault for not being strict enough.
    • Posted

Thank you Brandy,

did it involve soup and trumping?!

I am trying to avoid doing anything stupid with my diet as I think diet can drive anxiety. I got a really good book on it but it is taking my ages to read it. It is basically about cutting out most refined sugar etc. 

Lizzie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.