To TURP or not to TURP - advice needed!

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have had recurrent UTIs for more than 15 years. Although I was urinating regularly, albeit with a weak flow, I started vomiting black liquid two weeks ago and at the hospital 3000cm3 of unpassed urine was found and extracted by catheter which is still in place. I had noticed that my abdomen was becoming bloated, but as I had no pain, thought nothing of it. The urologist at the hospital has booked me in for a TURP although he didn't really take a full history. Another urologist  whom I saw on referral from the hospital has advised not to rush into a TURP and rather have some investigations to discover exactly why there was a problem. I am 70 and in very good condition still running and racing from time to time. My gut feeling is to opt out of the surgery and follow a programme of investigations. I would welcome advice.

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Your gut feelings are definitely correct.

Neal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.