To what extent can I use my arm if I have bicep tendinitis?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Female, 23, 100 lbs, 5’1

I got bicep tendinitis from lifting something heavy at work. It started slowly, the pain would come and go but it eventually never stop hurting. Doctor told me to take pain killers and to be patient but wasn’t clear on what I should or should not do. It hurts when I do just anything. The pain is like a 5/10 from my bicep down into my hand. It’s my dominant arm as well!

Can I still use it to brush my teeth, straighten my hair or blow dry it? I have a really hard time doing these things with my left hand but I’m scared I might cause a tear.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maria

I don't think there's any quick fix. 4-6 weeks rest as much as possible and keep using anti inflammatory pain killers if you are allowed. I think you are OK doing the simply tasks like brushing hair/teeth etc but do it slowly. You are only likely to tear if if you put a heavier strain on it.

• Posted

thanks! WHAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED A HEAVIER STRAIN? LIKE LIFTING A BOX ETC?

• Posted

every day tasks should be fine. As for a box it depend on the weight. think in terms of bags of sugar. if each one weighs 2lb then do you think you could lift just 1 or 2 easily and then judge against that?

if in doubt don't !!

• Posted

how long have you had the pain?

If you are resting it then it should start to feel better. If not then I would go back to your GP as it might be something more than tendonitis

• Posted

I’ve had the pain for 3 weeks now. It gets better but worse again when I do activities like washing the dishes or cleaning the toilet using my injured hand

• Posted

Hi Maria

I found this that might help:

*The pain of tendinitis can be significant and worsens if damage progresses because of continued use of the joint. Most damage heals in about two to four weeks, but chronic tendinitis can take more than six weeks, often because the sufferer doesn't give the tendon time to heal. In chronic cases, there may be restriction of motion of the joint due to scarring or narrowing of the sheath of tissue that surrounds the tendon. *

There seems to be no short term solution other than to try and rest & protect the arm. It seems that anti-inflammatory painkillers, a support and limit the use as much as possible. If there's no improvement after a couple of weeks go back to the doctor...

Sorry I can't help further

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.