Today, December 1st I celebrate

Posted , 7 users are following.

No I didn't have BPH surgery. Its been 2 years since the last time I peed blood. Now to some of you that doesn't sound like much. I went to work like usual, went to the bathroom and peed blood. Not pink or redish urine I mean peeing blood. Talk about the feeling of terror. All the obvious thought go through your mind. Dr. never figured out what the problem was. Blood in urine lasted about a year. Gradually getting less and less until Dec 1st 2016. Then it stopped. Thank God!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like to me you had bladder stones that eventually broke up and passed out. Cystoscopy and ultrasound. can easily miss those. Did you ever do CT scanning?

• Posted

Yes all of the above. They found nothing. Uro suggested to having a cystoscopy while I was bleeding. When I had an episode he didn't want to do it.

• Posted

Having had bladder stones (eight in total) that were too large to pass (over 6mm), and had to be broken up with a laser, I'm inclined to think uncklefester's description of the blood indicates his problem was something more than common stones in his bladder. Maybe it was stuck in the ureter, the short exit-tube from the kidney into the bladder?

Mine bounced around a great deal as I motorcycle and bicycle 4-5 times a week, and my urine was never more than pinkish from the stones.

And, calcium-oxalate stones (the most common type) will not break up by themselves, and they are usually very spiky, and VERY painful to pass.

• Posted

My "urine" flow while bleeding was unbelievable. Guesstimating ~ 30 ml/sec. Sounds crazy but it was unreal. I had minor BPH symptoms prior to bleeding. I think one of the reasons the large clots I was passing didn't stop flow completely was because whatever I had it open up the urethra. The clots were at least 1/4" diameter and sometimes 1/2" - 3/4" long

• Posted

Amazing/frightening symptoms! No wonder your urologist didn't want to do the cystoscopy . I hope everything turned out okay, and they were able to determine a likely cause for the problem.

• Posted

I had a similar incident about 6 months ago (also not a little pink or redish, it was solid blood). I ended up having about every test imaginable, from CT scan to cystoscopy, saw 3 urologists, and no one ever agreed on the cause. One of the urologists said it was due to BPH, and the other 2 said that BPH can not cause blood in the urine.

• Posted

Interesting steve. I was taking krill oil at the time My theory is that a rather large blood vessel sprung a leak due to thinned blood. I also had a 32 mm diameter cyst on my kidney at the time. Uro said that probably didn't cause because the clots were blobs. Kidney related bleeding usually has stringy clots. How long did you bleed for? Has it happened again?

• Posted

Did they ever find out what finally stopped the bleeding? So much blood loss and no transfusion? How could you maintain your energy?

• Posted

No, my thinking is that finasteride shrunk my prostate enough that the bad blood vessel was destroyed. But no one knows for sure

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.