Today I was most upset , what should I do?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today some fraudster accessed my details on this site and used my e-mail address to ask for money.he said he got it from  this site.Anyone had similar happen to them? So this site is not secure.

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I would report it to the site. See what they have to say. I guess it isn't very secure if someone was able to hack your account. Keep us posted and good luck.
  • Posted

Provided you are logged in you can use the "envelope" symbol to send someone a private email, but it doesn't give you their email address and presumably it goes via the site so they should be able to trace it.
  • Posted

have you reported this to  site, if this is true then thats it for me
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,

I will contact you tomorrow about this. I have just seen this discussion and your post on the feedback site. 

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Apparently it is possible to access our email addresses because I've received emails off site from other contributors, which I didn't mind because it was to continue the discussion which info the moderators don't allow - eg links to websites.

I don't know how you do it, but obviously some people do and someone has taken advantage of that to try and scam you.  I assume you've reported him to the moderators?

• Posted

We do not publish your email address on the site anywhere, unless you've included it in a public post. The site is secure, noone can gain access to it without knowing your password.

Users are able to send private messages to each other, but no email addresses are published in private messages. You can block individual users or disable private messaging completely, visit https://patient.info/forums/me/settings and uncheck "Enable private messaging".

• Posted

Glad to hear Greg.That's what I thought.I got such a fright.I wish I had kept the offending e-mail but I deleted it without thinking.It was from a solicitor asking for money for a client in a country I'd never heard of. I should have been a better detective.Fancy stating he got my e-mail thru you.Very weird.
    • Posted

What does anyone think about that?
    • Posted

I'd stop worrying about it if I were you Maggie:  he tried to scam you and didn't succeed, all too common but you didn't fall for it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.