Today is the day

Posted , 10 users are following.

In a few hours, I'm off to the hospital, to have my thoracic aortic aneurysm repaired, and my moderatly leaking bicuspid aortic valve replaced. The surgery is actually tomorow.

I'm feeling OK about it, as I am in good health, otherwise, and I am only 44 years old. My surgeon put all my info in the computer and came up with a 6% chance of dying on the table and a 2 1/2% chance of having a stroke. I'll take those odds.

For those of you facing similar, I have learned that a positive outlook will take you far in the days leading up to surgery. I've been hanging with family, going out for yummy meals, and bingo, watching films, just chilling. And, my lovely mother in law is here, helping us out. What a god send send she has been.

I will let you all know how I got on, when I am back home and coherent. Take care all. 

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi kristi, you came up on my PMR forum for some reason. Anyway just thought I would wish you all the very best with your op, I am sure all will be fine and may I wish you a speedy recovery. Best wishes Dav (tavidu)
  • Posted

Kristi!!  Love is all around you !!  That's great!!  

Cheers! From Canada!...for a Speedy Recovery ...from the surgery and smooth sailing with the Cardiac Rehab!!...just as important!!....each phase...amended ...

You have the summer to look forward to with all that!!

Hope to hear back from you in a few days!!! ...a daily journal if you will!!

It's just what this forum needs!!!  ...to bring us out from the wood work!!

• Posted

Good Luck Kristi,

I was with my sister last night who had her surgery last year and she is in great shape and has put the surgery experience behind her. You will too and  I look forward to hearing about your recovery. Sending you my best wishes and positive energy. X

• Posted

I hope that all goes well and that you will soon be posting of how well it all went.
  • Posted

Hi Kristi,

Good luck to you thoughts and prayers are with you will be waiting for your post x 

• Posted

Kristi I had the exact same surgery as you are having on 16th December last year.  I kept my positive attitude even though my family were falling apart over the 15% chance I wouldn't make it through surgery - I was convinced I would!  I don't remember the first couple of days in ICU and high dependancy but when I did wake up I was surprised that I didn't feel the awful pain I had been dreading.  Yes, sure, it's uncomfortable and for me getting off the bed was the worst of it.  Had the op on Tuesday morning and home by Sunday afternoon!  I would not hesitate to go through it again if I needed too.  6 months on I am fully recovered, in fact I felt back to normal except for the lifting after 6 weeks.

Keep your chin up, your positive attitude will see you through and you will soon be fixed up and healthy again!  I was in the Essex Cardiac and Thoracic centre at Basildon Hospital and I really can't fault them on their care although their bedside manner left a lot to be desired! 

Good luck!

Gail x

• Posted

Kristie--So good to hear they are repairing this so quickly.  I am 5 weeks post-op from an ascending aortic aneurysm repair and I'm very glad it was done.  I've been healing quickly (8cm mini-sternotomy helped) and I feel so much better overall.  Saying prayers that God will touch you and heal you quickly.  Let us know how you're doing!
  • Posted

Good Luck kristi18883, my prayers are with you,not that you'd need it as you said you are in good health, but it's always good have some spritiual and Divine reassurance.
  • Posted

Hello everyone. Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, but here I am. Better, stronger (soon) faster (soon), (bionic woman, get it?? lol)

It's been 2 weeks and one day since my surgery, and it all went well.

I apparently had some bleeding issues and needed 2 tranfusions, then I tried to beat the anaesthetic and wake up way too early, so was promptly re-sedated. When I got to ICU, I has low potassium and cloting issues, and that was quickly sorted. Then when I got to the ward, they didn't understand lacotse intollerance, and were giving me a lactose based med to help me poo?? I was so nausious, I couldn't eat for days.

But after all that...the implanted pacemaker never went off, so it was removed within a few days, as were the majority of the tubes and wires. I was left with only a line in my neck for the last 2 days I was there. I was sent home 6 days after surgery. WOO HOO!!

I have been feeling pretty good, considering. My wonderfull husband and Mother in law have been fighting to keep me down. She kicked me out of the kitchen one night, with the help of hubby. I am so freaking bored. lol

My chest is still sore, and while I can't really hear the ticking of the valve, I can certainly hear my heartbeat loud and strong, when it's quiet. I know that once I am healed and back into shape, I AM going to be "Better....stronger...faster". 

The other down side, is I tired easy these days, and just concentrating enoght to type this (twice, as I accidently erased it the 1st time) has tuckered me out. 

Thanks for all your encourgement, and if anyone is facing what I just went though, feel free to ask any questions you might have, as I would love to share my experience. 

Have a great day all.

• Posted

Hey Kristi, welcome back to the forum smile So glad to hear that all went well and that you are on the mend. Keep up your positive attitude which I am sure has been helping you throughout. Be careful about pushing yourself too hard and wanting to get back to normal activity quickly. My sister who had the same surgery a year and half ago, did just that and ended up with Keloids forming around her scar which became thicker and harder as time went by. While it is unknown why some bodies develop these, it could be the body protecting itself if the healing is not complete. She has recently had another procedure to clean up the scar and is now being more careful while it is healing. Anyway, this may not apply to you at all but I just wanted to make you aware. It must be such a relief to know your anuerysm is now repaired and you will not have to live with the fear. Enjoy your life.
  • Posted

Hi Kristi,

found this post by chance and was inspired by your attitude pre and post op. This is obviously a very scary time for you and your family but thankfully the worst is now behind you.

when you are feeling stronger, it would be interesting to know how a young wonan like you came to such a serious duagnosis. What were your symptoms, how were they differentiated from alternative common causes?

fir the monent though, concentrate on getting better. Don't do too much and allow your very supportive family to continue to take the load for a while. Remember, they are hurting too. They probably are able to cope better when you allow them to help.

i wish you well for the future and would like to hear from time to time how you are doing. Take care!

• Posted

Hi ya Granny-

Since I was born with the BAV, I have never felt normal. I wasn't near as athletic as most of the kids, couldn't jog or run without getting winded. No one paid any attention and just thought I was lazy and out of shape (even though I was skinny minny until my early 20's). 

I started having, what I know now, to be palputations, in my late 20's/early 30's and the Dr. I'd had since childhood, told me I was an out of shape smoker. My ex and I went to the gym 5 times a week, where I did a light work out and swim, and we ran up Diamond Head in Hawaii, on our honeymoon. Needless to say, I swiitched doctors as soon as I could, and my new Dr. was awesome, and put me on a 24 hr haulter monitor, the 2nd time I complained of odd symptoms. 

From there, I was referred to a cardiologist, when they found something on the test, who did an echo and low an behold, BAV. I was monitored yearly, and saw him just before I came to the UK 5 years ago, and he said, I had very mild leakage, and might neen my valve replaced when I was 65 (I was 40 at the time).

For four years, the doctors here, never even listened to my heart, even though I told them, every time I saw them, I had a BAV. I had a few episodes of fainting, for no apparent reason. 

Then, about 7 months ago, I had a funny turn at work. My vision went funny, my thoughts were really slow, I had trouble articulating what I wanted to say. They thought I had a TIA (mini stroke) and I ended up in A&E, then a TIA clinic. They ruled out TIA and said it was a migrane, but there was no pain. That doctor heard a murmer and referred me to a cardiologist, where they did an echo, and found not only a possible BAV (they always said that in the US too, as you can't see it clear) but an Aneursym as well. 

Then I had a battery of tests, CT MRI, angio, echo, trans-echo, CT angio, ECG's, chest exrays, And finally, surgery, 30th of July. 

Hope this helps...

• Posted

Oh my, what a story and what a worry this must have been. I am glad you are on the mend and have come through this ordeal in one piece.

life is very precious, keep your wonderful positive outlook and have a fabulous healthy life.

God blesss you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.