Today my endo just prescribed me Levothyroxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

About 3 months ago I had a full panel of thyroid lab work run and all of my panels except one was normal. My TPOAb was abnormal. My endo just started me on a low dose of Levo today and has only given me one refill and I won’t see her until next week. Is this normal for a doctor to do this? I am new at this hypothyroid thing so I just wanted to know. I'm also hoping this medication will help me although I'm not looking forward to the side effect.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

what were the thyroid profile/panel  results? it all depends - they could have been very near abnormal, and it also depends on what country, or even hospital,  you are in as to what the reference levels re normality  are.

Also, do you have symptoms of hypothyroid disease?

As to the  positive antibodies, there is/was a  view that some treatment could be a good idea even when the rest of the thyroid profile was ok, , but this depends on consultant - i have just been taken off medication despite high antibodies as my readings are now in the normal range!!

• Posted

All but one was normal range. My TPOAb was elevated and for the last 2 years I've had hypothyroid symptoms. It started with Chronic Hives and then weight gain, fatigue, eyelash loss, dry skin, and so on. I have hashimoto's disease, my immune system is attacking my thyroid. I also have Wilson's Temperature Syndrome my basal temperature is normally 96.0 degrees every morning at wake and even after exercise, it's been as low as 93.0.  I'm also about to get lab test run for Sjogren's Syndrome because I have all of the symptoms. 

• Posted

Lynn, with your autoimmune disease and low body temp, you need thyroid medication. However, levothyroxin can worsen autoimmune disease. You’re better off with NDT or ThyroGold.

Also read up on diet and supplements. Amino acid therapy could be very helpful for you.

• Posted

Thank you MtViewCatherine, I will look into the Amino acid therapy. I will also discuss with my endo about NDT. I will also look into ThyroGold. 
    • Posted

You’re very welcome. 

A couple of hints:

You’ll want to try essential amino acid capsules. Stick with them and figure out the dose that works for you.

The thyroid medication is pretty difficult to dose if you’ve never done it before. For this reason, it’s important to work with a good endocrinologist until you’re able to do the dosing on your own. The docs only work with prescription meds, so you may find it difficult to get one who’ll work with you in the ThyroGold. 

You may have to start out working with the docs on the NDT, then switch later to ThyroGold if you need to.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.