and it popped up about 3 inches 🙌

So I'm feeling very chuffed with myself, my hard work so far is starting to

pay off. I know it's a looooong road ahead, but this feels like my first proper

little victory 😀

7 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had exactly the same thing, terri . . until oneday when I still had a PT she was lifting it manually and suddenly said to me 'Do you realise you are actually lifting it yourself???"  I think with the same amount of effort I was gtrying to lift it, I was also stopping myself from doing it without realising it!  Once I got over that, I was able to lift it easily.  Exactly the same happened trying to lift the leg sideways while lying on my side.  At first, impossible!  Then I grabbed my gtrousers, and physically lifted it three or four times, and suddenly BINGO I was doing it myself!  good luck, and hop you find the same now that you are over the first barrier!

• Posted

Yay well done ... I know the feeling. I didn't think I was ever going to be able to lift my leg and when I did I thought I'd won the flipping lottery!! 👏 xx
  • Posted

Well done.  This is why I am always banging on about leg lifters. I am sure using the leg lifter all the time in the very early days strengthened my leg so much, and really speeded up recovery.  It certainly saved me so much pain and got me moving so well, if you haven't got one, do buy one.
    • Posted

I've been using one since the very beginning, I don't know how

Anyone manages without one! I was worried about using it in

Hospital, as I thought they'd disapprove. WRONG! They all

loved it, especially the Physios, who started making their own versions out of bandages and foam sponge! For me, I think it's

given me the confidence to try to do things on my own, like

getting in and out of bed unaided from the beginning.

• Posted

HI

I am in France so what exactly is a leg lifter? Sounds like the one for me!

Liz

• Posted

Well I wish I'd had one!!! I was having to rely on my husband to help me get in bed. I managed to get out ok but not very comfortably!!
    • Posted

I have to admit to being slightly obsessed pre-op, and was

always on the internet looking for things that may help post

op. It's frustrating that the health care professionals don't tell us about these things!

• Posted

Yes very frustrating especially as I feel we are put under a lot of pressure to exercise so I would have thought that anything to help would be a bonus
  • Posted

I've not heard if the leg lifters and wasn't aware of any .... wish I had been. Mine was sheer willpower and not easy at all!!
  • Posted

That's wonderful,you feel you have achieved another hurdle. Had the clips removed about 15min ago..leg feels less tight though still swollen. How do you all manage to sleep at night, this seems to be my biggest hurdle to get through,I am waking every hour in some discomfort.
    • Posted

I had my wound glued so haven't had to go back to have anything removed but sleep is a bit hit and miss. I find if I sleep for 2 hours at a time then that's a miracle. I really don't know what the answer is. Some people have recommended herbal sleeping pills but I've not tried them .., I'm just hoping that eventually, once the knee recovers more and pain relief is reduced, sleep might come back. Here's hoping!
    • Posted

Hi, re sleeping, it's taken a lot of trial and error, but taking my

pain meds at the right time is vital. As far as getting

comfortable goes, I'm currently sleeping on the sofa as I find it easier to be in a more confined space. I've found that lying on a pillow, lengthwise, from the very top of my thigh, and couple of cushions at the bottom for my feet, lets my leg find a natural

resting position. I also find that "wedging in" my knee between

my leg and the side of the sofa, with a rolled up towel, stops

unwanted movement. It's like a military operation, getting

ready to try and sleep!

• Posted

That does sound like a military operation but if it helps you get at least some sleep then good for you. I must admit I wasn't prepared for the lack of sleep!
    • Posted

It's certainty getting better, last night I "bedded down" around

midnight, woke at 2am, an hour too early for my meds. So I

tried to go back to sleep - and woke at 5.30! I Was a rubbish

sleeper before the operated anyway, so I was dead pleased

with it!

• Posted

That's exactly what I did at your stage terri.   Couldn't stabs being in bed, settee ver comfortable with minor adjustments.  I was sleeping with the christmas tree at the time!   Many an hour spent looking at the lights whilst trying to sleep.   It's a distant memory now.   It won't be long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.