Toddler abnormal looking mouth lining

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi just wondered if anyone can help please, my 22 month old grandsons inner lips and cheeks are very bumpy and raised all around, looks like tiny flesh coloured spots with an odd ulcer/blister here and then on occassion. When you pull his lip outward it just looks like a very un even bumpy surface, its as I say inside his cheeks and both lips. It doesnt seem to be tender or both him when he eats, although he does sometimes say sore and point inside his mouth but not near the swellings. He does have a milk allergy, but is otherwise well in himself and gaining weight etc. The doctors have no idea whats going on, and refering him to a dietian, in case he has celiac problems. W e have stopped all gluten in case, but he doesnt displayany of the symptoms. The dentist worried us somewhat by saying he had seen this before, but never as severe, and to go down the medical route then return to him for referrel if all else failed. He also refused to say what he thought it may be, which is worrying, and he did say it would not go away...any ideas please, we are all so worried about him, and everything takes so long to get referred on... please any ideas at all, I cant even find anything that resembles it on the internet....

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What kind of doctor would tell you something like that, yet refuse to say what he thinks it may be?  Time for a new dentist.  Has thrush been ruled out?  How about Gingivostomatitis?
    • Posted

Thankyou for replying, yes thrush has been ruled out, and the GP said its not viral, she thinks it could be celiac rash, but we dont,...although we have taken him off all gluten just in case..gp is sending him to see a dietician before she does anything else, because he has milk allergy she thinks it is some allergic response....the dentist as I say has worried us further by refusing to say what he thinks it could be, but he said it wont go away.... so what is it, will it get worse, is it caused be another hidden problem, so worried about him, its all over the cheek linings, and inside his bottom and top lips, just looks like a raised and bumpy all over the area, it doesnt seem to hurt when we touch it an it feels soft and flat when pressed, even though it looks bumpy, it gets an ulcer here and there as well, its so hard to describe, I cannot find anything like it on google, I have spent hours searching, I was just hoping someone might recognise this and give me an idea what it may be....
  • Posted

Poor little guy.  I hope you figure it out soon and get it taken care of.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.