Toddler has had constipation for 2 years now

Posted , 4 users are following.

My 3 year old has had constipation issues since she stopped breast feeding, I try to keep up with fiber but as I myself struggle to eat right I find it hard to remember to feed her fruits and vegetables and she ends up eating what I eat. However I'm not given up I just need to work harder on it. Well today was a bit of a scare bc she had a very large hard bowel movement but at the end of it was a big white patch on it. Not spots just a huge white patch, is this this something I should be concerned about? What could it be?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes I would take her to the dr she should be having bowel moments every day, and not hard like pebbles.  That would be increadibly painful for the child.  Put some coconut oil around her anus it's even better if you slip a bit and get some in, don't be cheap with it. She is not getting enough water to her bowels.  

I suffered red from constipation all my life,  had to take a medicine way back in the day tasted like black licorish.  I would not give that to a baby plus I don't think they sell it anymore.  Avoid binding foods, rice, cheese I am sure there are more.  Try to get her to eat bran muffins homemade would be best.

Your dr may have a few good suggestions,   Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you all, I will be changing her diet and try the syrup as well, I've heard about the syrup before from others. I took her to doctors a while back for it and said to put her on maralax do I did and worked but after 4 months of her being on it I went back and I said to go ahead and keep giving it to her. On the bottle it is only recommended to take it for two weeks. So I looked it up and the chemical used for Maralax is very dangerous and can cause leukemia and other health problems. I took her off of it immediately.

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

Add banana in her food habits especially after lunch. It helps for digestion.

If you are able to provide her a spoon of ginger syrup everyday will give result in 2 days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.