toe color

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've seen a few different posts about toe color post surgery but cant really find any symptoms like mine.(24 years old) my surgery was on june 27th broken tib fib and some torn tendons 6 inch plate 11 screws. i have no pain in my ankle/foot but when i put my foot down, my toes turn to a purpleish color. its not painful and i still can move my toes/ have feeling in them. when will my toes turn back to its normal color?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I had surgery for trimalleolar fracture but didn't have any torn tendons. But I can tell you that every time I put my foot near the floor the whole colour changed and went a horrible purple colour. It was awful and I found it quite worrying for a while. People reassured me that they had the same issue. Gradually over time it came right. You wouldn't know now by looking at my toes that anything had happened. You would by looking at the swollen ankle but that's a different story!d

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Rit. I'm 16weeks dwn the line and my toes and foot still turn colour once my foot is done. Gone is the purple colour now replaced by lovely shade of pink. Didn't have much pain in the early days, but making up for it now. 3 casts 1boot 2crutches down the line and sty get so much pain discolouration and swelling, all of which I'm told by physio and others on the forum pages is completely normal. My pain increased once I was told to start walking with crutches and hadn't stopped since. 5weeke ago now. 😢 😢. Let's hope your going to stay pain free, plus your purple toes will eventually turn pink and hopefully back to normal. My colour is normal first thing in the morning as my foot has been elevated all night, but once dwn it's hello pink!! Sx

• Posted

Hi, this is a very common normal occurrence. I'm 7months post op and my food still turns funny colors. It's not anywhere near as bad now though. At first is was such a deep purple it was almost black. Now it's more a bright red to slight purple. My physical therapist had told me awhile back that the color change could last up to a year maybe a little more if I was unlucky.

Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Yep. 4 1/2 months and still get colourful shades. If I overdo it I bruise again to. 
  • Posted

thanks everyone, i figured it was nothing to be worried about. I knew i had plenty of circulation since i could still move my toes and feel them. i was just worried because most forums said their toes turn more pink than purple. Looking forward to getting toe color back! also another question, is it just my toes are purple or is it my whole foot? since im in a cast i cant see and was wondering if anyone knew?
  • Posted

Mine is my whole foot that turns bright pink., still with purple tinge to it. This is why they tell you to elevate as much as possible.,it helps with the circulation of blood. Don't really know why it's only the injured foot that turns colour and other stays normal. Someone needs to explain what happens to the injured foot once it's been disturbed due to surgery. I know this forum will have someone who can explain to me. 😁 😁. Sx

• Posted

Hi there. Yep my poor little foot still turns all colours. After pysio or driving It goes a disgusting bruise grey. Then turns a darker pink. I've yet to see both feet the same colour.   I'm so glad I drove my gp and surgeon nuts every time I needed an answer I was in their face. I had antibiotic in cupboard in case i noticed angry red or signs of infection at night or on weekend. Used them to. I envy your no pain. This is the most pain I've ever had. I'd rather give birth a dozen times. 

• Posted

Hi Jenni. My pain today had been the worst ever, bean bawling for most of the day. I have the burning in my toes that I had in the early days. Pain each side and over the top of my ankle plus odd pain in my shin. Taken max needs, which has put me to sleep on n off all day. Been iceing and elevating all day so don't know why it's been so painful today? So down and depressed I've had enough and don't know how to cope with it all any more. 😔 😔 sx

• Posted

I know hon but look how far you've come. Look at what you couldn't do a month ago. I tend to look back to go forward. And yeh I've had enough but it is what it is. I wont take meds as they mess me up too much. I'm finding pysio helps and hinders. Still do it tho. Am improving. Stay sane strong and stubborn. It all helps.  

• Posted

Thanks Jenni, I do normally look back so I can see how much I've come on, plus see someone new on here who has just started this horrible journey and I can look back and see how we have all come on. But the pain I've had these past few days has been BAD. Don't know if its because I'm feeling depressed and down that it's winning, I can normally take a bit of pain with out moaning. God it's hard long and painful, and I hate it. I know I've come on a lot, but my stubbornness seems to turn to anger lately. Just so fed up with being tied to what I'm able to do. Should be having a day out tomorrow with my son in laws martial arts group, with my daughter and 3 grandchildren, but I won't be able to walk on the beach and know everyone will be flapping around me, I will get so angry and upset so that's out!! 😢 😢. Moan rant over. 😁. Sx

• Posted

I'm having a fun night in with 3 grandchildren. Giving mom and dad the night off.  Kids are all good although my lively 7 yr old thinks the day start at 4.30. I told him he has to sleep in cos my foots tired. That worked the last sleepover so here's hoping.  I know your pain doesn't let up. Had dr said bone has healed. I'm very hot in foot tonight but stood too much today.  Can't get ambitions and capabilities confused. 

• Posted

ooooo your brave, I have 6 grandchildren in all, three from each daughter. My oldest grandson is the same age as my son, there is only 4 week between them they are 19 this yr. So different from eachother and dont have anything in common, and dont see eachother much at all. which is sad, but my grandson can be quite ignorant, Iv been at my daughters house and he dont even come to say say Hi grandma, Where my son always comes to say hi to anyone whos calls in,and asks if they want coffee. His 2 sisters are the worlds worst too  9 and 4, so naughty that I dont really like having them for too long. Its the way my son in law is with them while my daughter is at work, he lets them do anything for a easy life, which makes it hard for others. My other 3 are well behaved kids. They are a treasure but so hyper. The eldest grandson and her only girl are both world champions in MMA. with my grandson whos 15 this yr holding 9 world titles. My grandaughter  8, holding 1 title with many other titles. My other grandson is a computer boy and loves his tech,and just started cricket,  hes 10 this year, hes a fab kid, so loving and kind to everyone. When they are all here it like a mad house!!! and so quite when they leavelol. Most of the time here its only myself and my son as hubby works around the clock. My son is into filming/editing and is a great drummer, but as yet to find a full time job. Hes been lucky enough to get in with a Wedding photographer ( my god son) who has his own business, and uses Arron for some of the big weddings he does, so he can see that my son has a good eye when it comes to filming. He has very bad dyslexia, so every thing at school he found very very hard, EVERYTHING he now does he has self taught himself, and is great at it all. Hes a good lad, and I couldnt of coped without him in the early days after accident, he did everything for me. But as time has gone on and 'mamma' has been able to do more its eased off a bit  lol. My foot has always been hot and I seem to feel it more at night, Ive never been able to have it covered since this happened as it feels as if its on fire, so its always on the outside of the sheet. Just had shower and another stand up one. WHOOP WHOOP. but glad once its over because it does make me a bit jittery as its over the bath so have to c**k leg over and stood on bad foot...just wish i could do bubble bath, but havent been able to do that for a while no because of bad back, so miss my bubbles and candles with glass of wine..the things we take for granted....rolleyes  sx

• Posted

ooppsss soz that was a long one.....lol  sx
  • Posted

I had a broken ankle on Feb 1st, operation on the 4th or 5th, only 8 screws but toes still numb and purpleish.. My ankle is still swollen and purple and my surgeon has told me it will be the same for a year, grrr.Good luck on your healing xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.