Toe cramping and stiffness

Posted , 5 users are following.

Any ideas for toe cramping and ankle stiffness? I keep moving them, but it doesn't seem to make them go away.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi candy, try taking magnesium, it's great for relaxing muscles and cramp. But remember it relaxes all muscles and I know that we are not up to frequent dashes to the loo ! I have had both feet done in the last 6 months, the second one a few days before Christmas and can happily say that most of it is all done. Just having physio for the internal scar tissue plus stiffness. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda. I had not heard that before about magnesium.
  • Posted

I have been swimming every day for the last 3 weeks and that has

helped enormously

• Posted

definitley swimming to help your ankle but also drinking lots of water and as someone already suggested magnesium supplement to help with the cramping

I do yoga and gentle streching and that seems to help a lot with cramping

• Posted

Hi Candy,

I had my surgery done 2weeks ago today, i also get terrible cramping and stiffness in my toes and also pain across the front of my foot. I thought that there was something wrong .

I have a friend who is a nurse and she came today to check it out as my 1st appointment at the hospital is not until  weds 25th feb  to have sutures removed.

I have not had my foot looked at at all since operation so was begining to think all sorts of things.

However after the  huge bandage was removed (with great difficulty as very conjealed  blood around the big toe part so had to be  soaked with saline first to get ot off). This bandaging  was obviously the cause of  me being so uncomfortable as it had been wrapped around my first and second toe (second toe having pin in it)  and causing my other 3rd toe to be spread apart like a V sign  this seemed to be making the stiffness worse as it had been strapped up for 2 weeks.

Since having all that removed my foor seems more comfortable but  still very stiff  and painful at times.

I have not been given any exercises to do so just keep trying to wiggle my toes to make sure they are moving. Have you had any physio  appt? 

I can only say that try and keep moving them  when you can  and like others have said try massaging  the area.

You didnt say  what stage you are at? when did you have  your op?  i was told that sutures will be removed in 2 weeks and this can also cause the stiffness mine wont come out till day 17 due to hospital appt mix up . i am hoping that once they are removed they will  feel less stiff. i have a heel wedge shoe which i manage with very well and am also  mobilising up to loo and to do odd jobs i actually did my ironing  yesterday ( did get told off thou by my hubby and daughters) the thing is with this type of  thing  you dont feel ill  and i get frustratedsitting on my backside all day.

I may have jabbered on a bit and not really answered your question but i think that what you are feeling is pretty normal what exactly did you have done? 

I had a metatarsal osteotomy and a pip fusion my pin will  have to be removed (not sure when)   and i hope that i will have  proper use of my toes in due course and be able to wear decent shoes.

Keep in touch and let me know how things are going for you

regards

Janet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.