Toe Exercises

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! Could anyone help me here, please? I had my scarf and akin osteotomy 3 weeks ago today and all was well at the 2-week appointment and continues to improve. Of course, my big toe is stiff at the joint where the bunion was and I'd like to start improving the flexibility by holding it in a stretch to slowly improve the range of movement. Do you reckon it is OK to do that at this stage? It feels OK to do it but I don't want to cause any damage. The only instructions I've been given from the hospital are to "keep wiggling my toes".

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had a bunionectomy on Friday and suffered tremendously for the first few days but now with better pain meds I can tolerate the pain and minor discomfort. My doctor told me to begin doing the alphabet letters with my foot. Slow and easy motions and quit if it hurts.
    • Posted

Thanks, Vanessa. Early days for you! Thanks for that. The first week was by far the worst for me and improvement was rapid. All the best!
  • Posted

I'm a bit ahead of you at 9 weeks but was walking really well at 2 weeks, I am seeing and feeling small improvements on a daily basis but it is a much slower process than I expected.

My surgeon in Milton Keynes told me to stand in front of the door, hands flat to the door with elbows slightly bent, feet shoulder width apart and gently go up on my toes, hold for a while and then lower back down. Just a few times a day, it does help with mobility.Good luck and think you'll be wearing pretty shoes in a couple of months! 

• Posted

Ah, thanks. That sounds like an exercise that would help. Did he say WHEN to start doing that and had you had a scarf and Akin procedure? Oh, and is Akin pronounced like "aching", by the way?!
    • Posted

I think you've made god progress, Sandra. I was out on my crutches with the boot on the fourth day and can walk around the house with the boot and no crutches. I don't think I'd make very good progress if I went to the shops with this heel boot and no crutches though. It is a very odd way of walking!
  • Posted

I did walk out of the hospital on the day with boot and crutches, had a house move, trips to and from Yorkshire (3 hours each way) and a flight to Spain (home) all in the space of 3 weeks..............far more than I should have and not recommended, I am now wearing my boots and shoes normally although some are a little snug but my frustration is the discomfort down my leg from my buttock which Dr Google informs me is sciatica. Too much too soon so don't rush it. He didn't tell me when to exercise, he has told me that my foot will tell me when I have done too much, and it does! it's a slow process, frustratingly so listen to the discomfort and elevate your foot. The best ice pack is one of those wine bottle coolers that you put in the freezer, it just pops over the end of your foot, fabulous! Be patient! 
  • Posted

Hi do either of you find you are getting a back ache walking on your boot?  my slippers are flat and the boot throws my hip and spine out of alignment. 
    • Posted

Yes, slightly. It is more my groin/hip on the bad-foot-side which is uncomfortable as a result of never being extended straight as my leg is effectively longer. I've taken to wearing Teva strap sandals around the house on both feet. I will have to be extra careful to avoid a mishap! 
    • Posted

I got backache after a couple of days wearing the boot and a slipper.  I changed to wearing a summer sandal with a higher sole and heel, to bring the foot up more to the level of the other one, and my backache was immediately better!
    • Posted

Good idea. My sandals and shoes are all fairly low, hence the injustice of having a bunion in the first place, lol!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.