Toe exercises after lapidu cuneiform operaturn

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm really hoping someone can help me :-)

I'm day 11 post op after having bunion surgery done by Professor Tagoe - he has done a fantastic job. Only used pain meds for the first few days, dressings have been taken off and I keep my pot elevated pretty much all day. All is great and I'm not over uncomfortable - the most pain I've had really is in my shoulders and hands from crutches lol.

Anyway yesterday I got my dressings off and the lady said I need to start bending my big toe upwards and downwards as far as it will go at least 10 times a day. She did it once for me in the clinic and it killed :-( Only for 30 seconds after but the fear of it has put me off doing it myself at home. As a side point I also suffer from Generalised Anxiety disorder where I constantly worry about everything and anything. I am aware anyone having to inflict pain on themselves would freak out about doing it but I really really really can't do it and I can't even psych up the courage to let my partner do it for me. I'm petrified I'm going to end up with a stiff toe because obviously there's only a small window of time where you can exercise the toe to ensure it has good mobility. Even the fear of never walking properly again is just making me even more anxious and I am not a weak person - I gave birth without any pain medication 9 years ago so logically I know I can do it - but logic doesn't play a part in fear.

Sorry for the lengthy message but am really hoping someone can help me out.

Thank you :-)

Louise

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know it's horrifying, but I would follow your practitioners orders last thing you want is a stiff toe and built up scar tissue. If you do it after a few days it gets easier and easier. I looked up on you tube some fantastic exercises for example one patient would grab her top bed sheet with her toes and kept scrunching up the sheet or picking up small bounce balls with your toes. Check the exercises out I did it and I am almost THREE months out and have no scar tissue and almost 100% flexibility. I wish you luck!

• Posted

Hiya,

Aahhh thank you so much for your lovely reply. I know I have to do it but every time I even so much as tweak my toe it causes crazy pain ..... really swollen and bruised too and aircast boot for another 4 weeks too.

Well done you - that sounds fab:-)

It's weird I can't explain it but the minute my toe hurts my body retracts and my brain literally paralyses my foot. So frustrating.

Thanks again :-)

• Posted

I wasn't told about toe exercises. Im gonna ask my dr. It's been 4 months since my surgery and I think I'm finally doing pretty good. I can walk almost normally.  Im surprised at how many women try to use crutches. A walker is much easier and less painful.  Try that. It sounds like you are doing good to be going out already. Be sure to protect that toe and don't forget to elevate your pot. Lol. 

• Posted

Hi Patricia

What operation did you have?

Such a long recovery period isn't it?

Louise :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.