Toe infection (antibiotics not working)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 21 with no underlying conditions and I've had an infection in my toe for about 2 weeks now. It's on my right big toe on the right side next to my nail possibly caused by an ingrown nail. It is inflamed and red, it's not painful unless I touch it and I am able to walk on it.

I was prescribed fusidic acid cream and have been using it 3 times a day as advised. I have also bathed my toe in salt water at least once a day and it's still not improved?

I'm can't get an appointment until 2 weeks time as I'm away from home at the moment and I'm worried the infection will get worse, although it looks the same to me so far and no signs of it worsening yet it's just not getting better.

I'm not sure how long it takes for infections like these to clear up but I'm starting to worry. I've heard so many horror stories about people leaving infections and having to have their nail (or toe) removed.

I've been using the fusidic acid cream for over a week now, I'm pretty sure you're only meant to use it for 2 weeks so I will continue. Do you think it will be okay to leave it another 2 weeks until I see my doctor? Do I continue to use the cream until then? I have no idea what to do. It seems so minor and silly I suppose. I've had toe infections before and they clear up in a few days no problem but this one is so stubborn!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

fusidic acid cream isnt very effective, you need to try another infection cream.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.