Toe separators after surgery???

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi guys,

Hope you're all well. I just wanted to know if anyone of you are wearing toe separators after surgery. If you are I just wanted to know how long after surgery did you start wearing them. I'm a little concerned about my big toes straying towards the others. I also still have small bumps where my original bunions were. I'm hoping that's due to swelling but not quite sure. I don't see the nurse or doctor till the 7th November yet and feel I need to ask a lot of questions still.rolleyes

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Guys,

Back to the toe separators again. This might be a silly question but do you wear these with your shoes too or just in the house without shoes?

• Posted

My surgeon told me to wear the toe separator day and night so yes, wear it in shoes and have to keep a sock on at night or it slips out.  I don't even notice it anymore but as soon as I take it out to wash it/shower, the gap closes.  I definitely don't have a big gap.

hope your recovery is going well.

• Posted

Hi,

Thanks for that. I think we get more information on this forum than the actual surgeons. I think that's exactly what I'm going to do. Well appreciated.wink

• Posted

Hi I am in the us so surgery may be different here than there. I had a wedge bunionectomy, basically they cut the bunion off, pulled 2 tendons tighter after they cut the metatarsal to realign it (it was leaning out too far) and then pinned in place with 2 pins.

I had the surgery friday (halloween) and that tuesday went back for a follow up.  At that point my ace bandage came off and a hard cast was put on - as well as a foam toe seperator between my big toe and my 2nd toe. He didn't really specify why. Sorry, not much help....but YES I RECEIVED A TOE SEPERATOR. smile

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Heather. Yes it's seems like the toe separators do help a lot.lol
    • Posted

I agree, I have received much more information from this site than from my podiatrist. Sad it has to be that way.
    • Posted

Hi Heather,

I have a question. Did you have almost unbearable pain after the podiatrist put the separater between your toes. I have pain that feels like a constant foot cramp ever since he put the separater between my big toe and second toe.

Just like you

I had the surgery on a friday and that Thursday went back for a follow up. At that point my ace bandage came off and a hard cast was put on - as well as a foam toe seperator between my big toe and my 2nd toe. He didn't really specify why either. I called him the next day to explain that I was experiencing a constant "charlie horse" foot cramp. He told me this was probably because I was swelling in the new cast. I did not think to ask him what importance if any the toe separator had..(He told me I could take the saperator out if it got too unbearable but I want to keep it if is providing a benefit...

• Posted

Yes, I have the same problem. Whenever i put the toe separators, i start getting shooting pain in my stitches. My surgery is done just 10 days back. Having sleepless and painful nights due to these. Doctor says i will get used to them in a few days. Please somebody suggest. Do i have to put them on 24/7? Can i remove them at night?
  • Posted

i have to weara toe spacer but i dont kno if the narrow end is inserted first"??

does anu one kow 

• Posted

Hi guys, sorry to post on an old thread but I would like advice on what style gel spacers I should purchase?

I'm two weeks into bilateral bunion surgery recovery and just had my follow up consultation - although a big improvement on my previous feet my big toes are still not as straight as I was expecting and there appears to be bumps where my bunions were (possibly swelling but they still look like bunions to me).

The surgeon said gel spacers won't make much of a difference but I'm willing to give them a go.

Any advice will be much appreciated!

• Posted

Hi Jonny

I had my surgery done on 3/3. About 3 wks ago. The doctors used gauze as my toe spacer. I bought some real ones from Walmart. However, the gauze is softer so I'm going to continue to use it at least until my incision completely heals. I'm due back in on 4/21.

Does your foot hurt especially bad at night?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.