Toe sore and stiff 3 weeks after gout attack

Posted , 6 users are following.

Is it normal for the big toe joint to remain sore and stiff three weeks after gout attack? All other gout symptoms have been gone for almost 2 weeks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Yes, why not? Are you treating actual Gout rather than the symptom? You need to be on Allopurinol for rest of your life.

• Posted

Is that necessary true. i have had a single attack. My sister had an attack 10 years ago and has never had another. My father in law has had three attacks over 20 years. neither take Allopurinol. Allopurinol is a treatment for chronic gout sufferers. I do not yet fall into that category and hope that it will be a long time before I do.

• Posted

The short answer is yes. i think the solution is probably a small dose of colchecine for a few days just to calm down the immune system attack.

Medically you are correct that you don't have gout. However, unless the gout attack was triggered by extreme dehydration or taking another medicine, the probability is you'll have another attack in the next year.

What you could try to get rid of the stiffness is resting it in very hit water with the idea that that will help dissolve the crystals. It used to work for me but i don't know the science or if it was just a placebo.

of course - drink lots of water - helps to dissolve the crystals by lowering blood urate.

Good luck and good health.

• Posted

What were the other gout symptoms? Usually the only symptom is pain in the toe. Do you mean the swelling?

• Posted

My entire foot ballooned and went red accompanied by intense pain. The pain was across the entire foot but worse in the Big toe and ankle. After perhaps 7 days all swelling was gone.

• Posted

Yes, some soreness can take weeks to pass, a gout attack may bruise or damage joint tissues and it takes a while.

• Posted

I had a single gout attack over three years ago and thankfully no problems since, but the joint in my toe is definitely not the same afterwards. I don't have any pain but its definitely lost the range of movement the joint used to have and is somehow larger even though its not swollen or sore. I have trouble getting into tighter fitting shoes on that foot since the attack.

• Posted

Thanks for the responses. I will keep up the cold and heat and massage.

I have found gently popping the toe joint and then moving the toe while popped is pain free which I think indicates something funny in the joint. Damage or inflammation.

• Posted

I would add GDU 3000 bromelain with the cholchicine to help relieve the stiffness. It works magic.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.