Toe straightening with pins

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi everyone

ive recently had my toes straightened and have had pins put in . Anyone else had this done im five weeks in and still experiencing lots of pain . can anyone tell me what its like after the pins are taken out can you wear shoes quite soon after and is walking all back to normal. are there limitations after removal and is it still painful ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I had bunion and hammertoe surgery (2nd toe) on my right foot. That was 11 weeks ago. Like you, I had a pin through the hammertoe. That was taken out after 6 weeks. The good thing about it was that I was allowed to get my foot wet after the pin was out. And my doctor gave me permission to walk. Before then, I was strictly, not weight bearing. The problem was that I still had to wear that surgical sandal for a few more weeks. My foot was unable to fit into any shoes since it was so stiff. I got myself some very wide hook and loop (velcro) extra deep diabetic type shoes. Now, after 11 weeks, I am wearing other shoes, but they all have to be wide and deep and with a large opening. My gait is still not completely painless and normal. My toes (big toe and the next) are still stiff, especially the former hammertoe. While the big toe is bending minimally, the former hammertoe is still quite rigid. I am getting physical therapy but it is unclear when/if my toes will be flexible enough to permit easy walking. I find that it is harder to go down the stairs rather than up the stairs. I hold on to the banister and go sideways when I go down. Also, I just started driving again and I find that driving is easier than walking... 😃

• Posted

Hi there!!!

some pain at this point is pretty usual.

Once the pins come out you will start the healing process and pain will decrease quickly.

I would say I was some months before I was pain free completely and I didnt wear closed toe shoes for a good few weeks (except my wellies because they are so wide).

I invested in a very sturdy pair of sandals.

It does get better and I never regret having mine done as prior to the operation I was in constant pain. Absolutely pain free now x

• Posted

thank you for your prompt reply im glad it all seems normal i cant wait to get pins out as seem more uncomfortable last few days how long after the pins were out did you return to work? and did ot hurt having the pins taken out ?

• Posted

I had one pin. It did not hurt when it was pulled out. I did not have to return to work since I am retired. Some people return to work quite soon. Good luck!

• Posted

Having the pins out really was pain free, strange sliding sensation but not painfull.

I didnt have time off work at all (I had both feet done and worked from home the day after my op) however I wasnt comfortable to drive my 60 mile commute to the office for around a month and then I went every other day.

I would say it depends on what your job role is - if you are sat down you will be fine I would have thought two weeks later, if you are on your feet alot then maybe 4.

everyone does recover at differing rates. you will have more of an idea a few days after the pins are out.

good luck

• Posted

thanks all im really suffering at 5 weeks in with pain when walking the last two weeks been ok but this last few days absolute agony did you all find when it was nearly time for tge pins to come out your toes hurt more?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.