Toenail Fungus

Posted , 5 users are following.

Like many in our subtropical or world wide community I suffer from a right toenail fungus. Have tried expensive and evryday cures none seem to work except Vapor Rub on a sticking plaster pad over the nail. Seems to work any feedback? Col.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried tea tree oil? Rubbing that in the nail daily should cure the infection? I've got a foot spa with tea tree and menthol crystals. I've only used it for a couple of months but it seems to be helping. Unfortunately it will take time as the nail needs to grow out.
    • Posted

Do the oil etc work simply on theit own? There is quite an elaborate procedure with the prescribed remedy that I am using - Amorolfine nail lacquer. One has to file the nail each time and use one of the cleaning pads. Without this I'm not sure it would be as effective as it's turning out to be, or even work at all.
    • Posted

Hi Romney. I've tried the nail lacquers in the past but didn't work for me. If anything, I found the filing of the toe nail has actually damaged my nails, they now have lines in them, which are taking forever to go away, I've actually found the lines went further down the nail, which is why I think the filing has damaged the nail. As nails take so long to grow out its such a long process and perseverance is needed to really see a difference if tea tree oil will actually work of course. I rub tea tree oil neat onto my toe nails daily which tea tree is known for many causes and kills bacteria, so I guess it keeps my feet as germ free as it can, being crammed in work boots every day in hot weather don't help. I have always suffered in growing toe nails to, so this really don't help. In my personal view as fungus is so spreading, it's a case of cleaning the insides of shoes boots, which I use tea tree for also and clean socks every day. I actually think all fungus don't die in the washing machine on the low temperature and as you don't know what's left or right foot it actually spreads to the other toe. My Nike dri feet socks are great coz they have an L and R on both socks. I've been fighting this damn thing for years so these are just some of my conclusions and I'm making slow progress. Good luck with ur urs Hun 
  • Posted

Mine is disappearing day by day and it is simple to apply the bandaid with Vaporub twice a day after a shower takes about a minute.. And it is not messy.  All the best with your coloured toe. WTF does it come from?. I was in the army as a young man and didn't see it there. Now everyone seems to have it?  ATB Col.
    • Posted

Vaporub is the second none proprietary treatment mentioned in this discussion; the first was tea tree oil. I'd never previously heard of such treatments. Are they recommended anywhere?
    • Posted

Google tea tree oil uses. It's a natural product and it will give you a better understanding of how it works.
    • Posted

I know I'm going on a bit, but like I said in one of my previous posts. You have to find an idea you like and persevere as toe nails will not improved over night, it's a very long process to grow out. I'd say you need to use the method for a year before you know it's working.
    • Posted

If the Tea Tree Oil doesn't work, as in my case, I showered with the stopper in tub and poured vinegar in while I showered. Upon leaving shower and drying off, I pulled nail back and poured hydrogen peroxide on them. It's been working. Fungus was up my arms, and on my ankles--NOT ANYMORE!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.