Toes hurting 8 weeks post op bunionectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had bunionectomy 8 weeks ago. I developed a neuromas under my pinky toe. However today all of my toes (except my big toe) are hurting. Deep throbbing pain deep where the toes insert into the foot. No swelling.

The ball of my foot under my pinky and 3rd toe are still very tender when I walk barefoot. 

Has anyone experienced this?

Any recommendations?

I'm elevating and icing but thought I'd be pretty much healed by now. 

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I ask because 11 years ago I had breast cancer and was on a forum. It was based in America and the knowledge of treatment available and the variety of treatment was incredible. That seems to be the case here. I've had to Google neuromas!!!!

• Posted

Wow you are walking bare feet at 8 weeks? I’m still NWB until then at least. Did you have a cast, walking boot? I had the Lapidus procedure. 

I have the pins and needles feeling when I massage my foot now, and I try and do that daily. I’ve had this procedure twice on my left foot and I’m making sure I do everything I can to ensure I have good range of motion on this right foot. The doctor that did my left foot never gave me any instructions or PT, so it still!!! throbs and I can’t bend my toes properly after 10 years. 

I do hope you find relief soon! 

• Posted

I had osteotomy double chevron. 

I am 8 weeks past. Cant get shoes on.  I was 6 weeks before I could walk anywhere but bathroom.  First 4 weeks in a wheel chair. 

Feet still swell during the day.  The skin is so senistive a sheet touching it wakes me up.  It is painful.  My feet ache everywhere. I have to walk on the outsides of my feet still.   It is better each week but with more walking - like -around the house my whole foot cant wait for an icebath. 

• Posted

Hi Debbie

I think I should stop looking at forums. For every post where the operation was successful there are two where there are problems.

I'm just grateful we have the NHS. Whatever the results it costs nothing. Paying for and choosing your surgeon doesn't make the surgery more successful.

• Posted

Debbe... do your toes still hurt when walking? I’m  nine weeks post op and just started walking last week. The past two days my toes have a cramping up feeling when I walk. Making it hard to even step on them and complete my step. The only way I can think to describe it is it feels like there are cramps in the middle of my second third and fourth toes. All the massage I keep doing isn’t seeming to help. I’m wondering if that’s the same feeling you had. And if you found a way to make it go away :-)
  • Posted

8 weeks is still early days. You will likely see a lot of improvement in the next month. i was much further along at 12 weeks than 8. I'm at 14 weeks now and I am back to running every other day, but I'm still not totally pain free. I'm now looking forward to being 6 months out. i expect to feel great then. It's a slow process with quite a bit of generalized pain. Also, my doctor says you can have swelling without actually being able to see it, so that could be a factor. That and the cut nerves coming back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.