Toilet Paper has formaldehyde in it!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm reposting this from the middle of another thread so everyone can hear this. You can Google it and read articles.

Formaldehyde?! That wouldn't be good in the septic tank, never mind on my parts. Geez. I found the article, or a closely related one.

'Our patient suspected the toilet paper she was using in Canada was the causative agent of her chronic vulvitis. An extensive review of the literature was conducted using the PubMed database, which included a combination of the search terms vulvar allergens, vaginitis, contact dermatitis, toilet paper allergies, over-the-counter medication, chlorine, and formaldehyde. This search did not reveal any cases of toilet paper dermatitis but did reveal documented cases of contact dermatitis due to moist toilet paper, such as baby toilet wipes.21,22 Given our initial suspicion that chlorine bleach might have been the offending substance, our patient was tested with various dilutions of chlorine with negative findings. In hindsight, this step was unnecessary, as chlorine is a gas that quickly disperses and likely does not remain contained in the toilet paper.

'Formaldehyde and its reactive derivatives are used in the paper industry to improve the wet-strength and other “valued” characteristics of paper and paper products. For example, shiny, heavy, white examining-table paper is much more likely to contain formaldehyde than thinner, less expensive, duller, and more fragile types of paper.9 The same could be said for toilet paper; the thick, absorptive, strong, bleached, and expensive brands are more likely to contain formaldehyde than the thinner, cheap, “grayish” brands.'

I tend to prefer the 'green' brands, whatever that means, but now I'll look for the really cheap-looking stuff.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Goodness Morrell  What an interesting article. I will cut and paste it to my friends so they too can choose cheaper softer paper. I had banned my house guests from  the use of moist toilet tissues as they block up my private drainage system - Now they will be more circumspect withthe use i imagine. Thank you for the imformation - your research is so very useful Thank you

• Posted

Thank you Morrell for making this subject a new conversation.  I am brand new in this discussion thing so I wasn't sure how to get it out to people in the best way.  I began to suspect that the toilet paper I was using could have an impact because my skin problems were only in the areas where I would use a wipe. I am experimenting with now using safe toilet paper I got at a holistic store that clearly states no bleaching and no chlorine. I will let people know if my symptoms lessen. I have not used a creme or any other remedy.    
    • Posted

Thanks to you, Carol, I know about it at all. The arcticle says the formaldehyde is used in the more expennsive, thick king, so I suspect we're pretty safe with the cheap green stuff. I've noticed irritation with the fancy stuff when I had no choice, just once. There's a clear difference.

Unfortunately, if someone is irritated down there it's not unlikely that she'd treat herself to the 'good' stuff. Big mistake.

• Posted

Thankyou for this most interesting I use wipes after a bowel movement could this affect my front area ? 
    • Posted

You mean those baby wipes soaked in chemicals? I wouldn't use those.There would be fumes and residue in your panties. I wet toilet some paper.

A lot of girls on this forum have mentioned various strategies for dealing with irritation and avoiding contact with urine. Since I gave up sex, this problem has pretty much gone. All that friction and body fluids play havoc with LS. Just sayin'.

• Posted

Baby wipes are marvellous for removing stains from clothes- Even a babies faecal explosion on my new white jacket!- If the chemicals can remove such stains what are they doing to the undercarraiges? Wet wipes are great to carry around for emergency mopping up of sppilages but not on my important "little" places!
  • Posted

My belief is that our bodies want to return to normal.  Let's do anything we can to help our bodies.  Changing toilet paper is an easy thing. I have decided to do acupuncture as well.  I will see what the combination does to ease symptoms.  A day at a time.  My mission is to avoid the steriod creme.  I just got diagnosed so my symptoms are mild so far.  
    • Posted

Hi Carol,  your mission should actually be to avoid atrophy from this condition.  Unfortunately using the steroid cream still seems to be the best way for me to avoid this.  Without it even with other treatments I still get sore. The trick is to treat as often as you need to stay itch or sore free, but as rarely as possible to achieve this.  Trial and error and as you say one day at a time.  Please do not wait until you have to treat because you are too sore not to. From what I can gather the ones that suffer from serious effects of this condition are those that do not treat the problem with prescribed steroids and moisturisers.
  • Posted

With thanks wil  go back to paper what toilet paper is best to use as I want to get some to try ??
    • Posted

Maybe buy small packs to experiment. I'm in Canada, so probably brands don't jive.
  • Posted

Hi Morrell, Thank you for this information.  I discovered a problem that the cheap stuff I found is often too harsh and rough which caused me pain to use.  Doesn't seem to matter what we do it is a constant battle to find comfort.  I hate this condition. Using very cheap paper from a well known uk frozen food shop for the past year and I am having no problems at the moment, so I am hoping this one is okay.  I also noticed that it remains whole and does not disintegrate easily which I think helps.  I also think sanitary/incontinence towels cause some problems for us.  Tried the natural ones but they were like cardboard.  Yuk!!!
    • Posted

Oh, that's a hard one. My mother uses incontinence products and I must say I dread having to deal with that, constant dampness, never mind the chemicals and plastic.

Re: toilet paper, I blot to minimize contact.

• Posted

Me too and then I use Epaderm on toilet paper to leave a barrier for the next time.  Seems to work for me.
  • Posted

P.S. Lots of exercises too to help with the incontinence helps too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.