Told 3 days ago that I need an urgent total hysterectomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm so confused to how I have even got yo this stage but the short version goes:

In early 2014 I went for my first smear aged 29, I got called back with CIN3 but in the meantime found out I was pregnant and due Dec. I couldn't have any treatment while I was pregnant so they kept taking smears to keep it in check...the last one (2 weeks before my due date) showed that it had progressed into a 3mm tumor but still I couldn't have anything done until 8 weeks post baby.

They cut away the tumor via Lletz but came back that it was still touching the edges so had to have another. Then got all clear and has been since!

In July this year I started experiencing faintness/dizzyness and tiredness to an extreme level, doctor sent me for a blood test which came back that I was severely anemic 9.1. I have had a bowel cancer, stomach cancer check, ct scan and ultrasound but with no answers. They reffered me back to gynae.

I went to see my consultant 3 days ago and he went through everything I'm experiencing (heavy bleeding, painful periods and obviously anemia) he tried to do a smear but it was far too painful for me due to my scar tissue and inflammation.

He said my only option would be an urgent hysterectomy and booked me in for 3 weeks time but before then I would need a blood transfusion, iron infusion, MRI and womb examination. I'm in total shock... I'm only 33 but have 3 children and my family is complete.

I have been to see my local gp today to try and make sense of it all and he gave me some other options that involve general anesthetic also but when I asked does it normally happen this fast his answer was "No".

Why am I being reffered as urgent?? Is there something there not telling me? Why not offer me the other options the gp did?

Sorry for the long post

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma, I'm sure this is tough to get your head around. I'm 8wks post abdominal hysterectomy and hvn't looked back. I guess with regards to GP V gynae advice, maybe it's the case that they feel this is the best long term option for you? To them its a straightforward operation and should prevent further issues for you so they maybe don't see the merit in offering other procedures which they feel may not be as effective. I know I felt a wee bit steam rolled by it all and all i can suggest is write down your concerns and ask all the questions you have so you are clear about the choices that have been made. A GP has a general knowledge of gynae and maybe the experts have ruled out other options for good reason. Mine suggested key hole but my consultant said it wasn't an option at all. I was fortunate to avoid a lateral wound and got a horizontal one in the end. Hopefully you have the opportunity to discuss your concerns to give you a clearer picture of why they have chosen the procedure they have. best of luck!

• Posted

Dear Gemma, you need to stay strong and positive now. The CIN3 unfortunately can be very aggressive. Which is why your consultant is in a hurry to do the TAH. trust them and follow their advise. All the best . I will certainly be praying with you.

• Posted

hello

I would take advice off my consultant rather general gp.

Your consultant is top in his field and will know a lot more than your gp.

Keep in touch.

X

• Posted

Hello Gemma. How have you been?

• Posted

Hi, My op was supposed to be yesterday but they have moved to next Monday. I still haven't had any correspondence through regarding it so just rung the hospital and they say they are waiting on my consultants permission for another consultant to do the op on his behalf. They say if he doesn't give his permission then he doesn't have any space until mid December. I'm so fed up, I had sorted childcare for all my 3 children and work has covered all of my clients or cancelled them so I have had to have this week off work, my boss is worried about messing my customers around. I'm not sure what I will do if it gets put back again.

• Posted

Hi Gemma,

Oh my! So sorry to hear that. If you can reach your consultant why don't you contact him and have it sorted out once and for all

• Posted

Op is going ahead tomorrow, slightly nervous now. Speak to you on the other side x

• Posted

All the best with your op Gemma!

I'm 11wks post surgery tomorrow and getting stronger every day.

You will be out the other side of this in no time and you wont look back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.