Told husband not to take his statis,do you agree with me

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all ,my husband had a cholesterol test done,it was a bit high so doctor has prescribed atorvistatin...After reading the reviews on here ,I have told him what was being said, and now we feel he shouldnt take them, Also,as a lot of you have come of your statins ,what do you do to control your cholesterol, Do you do it by diet if so what do you eat,  Or do you use a supplement eg  from the health shop etc ,,, Is there any body else out there who din"t take there statins after being prescribed them,,And did you tell your doctor  you hadn"t taken then, when you had to go back for your blood test to see  if the  statins were working... I would be gratefull for any advice at all...Many thanks

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi all thank you so much for all your helpful replies ..My husband has decided not to take the statins, He will try diet etc,, And is taking on board all of your tips and experiances.  It also made us think about his parents,His dad being 88 fit and never took statins,,But his mum 84 can hardly walk ,back pains etc mobility scooter,,It was when he phoned and told them the doctor wanted him to take statins,that he found out his mum had been on them for 15 years, Makes you wonder doesnt it,Trouble  is she trust her doctor and wont listen to us ,So what can we do ,,Not much i suppose,
    • Posted

Ive told my doctors about this forum. Im thinking of showing mine the comments some time. I wish your husband well. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

My mom is 92 and her doctor has her on statins for no reason whatsoever. Her heart and circulatory system is in good shape. She has walked 3 miles a day for as long as I can remember. 

She is healthy as can be, I told her to go off them and she threw them away.  She has been experiencing foot pain and tingling off and on. Now we will see if that goes away. 

This is just blatant unnecessary pill pushing on an elderly person who doesn't know any better. She can't google these things to get all sides of an issue. She is just an unsuspecting victum. 

• Posted

Bill, have her read either this blog or the literature.  Her doc is not informed!  If a person has not had any heart trouble, statistics show that there is no advantage to taking statins.  And they can cause harm...  
    • Posted

Shes fortunate to have a son like you,i feel sorry for older people that dont have support from family.
    • Posted

Bill I believe that your Mum's doctor is being irresponsible in putting your 92 year old mother on these terrible drugs.  She has lived to 92 years of age without this poison.  Thank goodness you have advised her to throw them away.
    • Posted

I so agree Chilaah, 'irresponsible' is precisely right.  I'm so angry at how much damage statins did to my health I'm now very cynical about prescribing practice generally and particularly drugs like this, I'm almost convinced GP's are on 'commission' to push this poison onto us.
    • Posted

Hullo Loxie.  You make a very valid point, I believe that GPs are on commission as why else would they be "signing" us all up to swallow these poisons. 
    • Posted

I was getting muscle aches on Atorovastatin. After some time decided to stop them and after 4 months the effects dissappeared. I was advised to go on "mediteranean diet" and after several tests (including me getting a chol. kit from Amazon) my levels went down to acceptable levels. Will not be asking to go back to statins just keep my head down and stay on a sensible life style. If you are overweight, loosing some will probably also mean you are going in the right direction chol.- wise as well.
  • Posted

I stopped taking statins 3 weeks ago.  I went away for 5 days and left my statins and blood pressure tablets at home.  After only 3 days I felt simply amazing.  I had been on these two meds for probably 8 or so years.  In the past year, I have had constant diahrea or constipation; my gums ached resulting in my paying lots of money to visit the dentist; my eyes were always watering and filmed over making me think I had cataracts (not so); and although I have been fit from years of yoga and other fitness regimes, my bladder had become weak and leaked embarrassingly to the point that when I went walking, it was like a tap was being turned on and my bladder leak became a waterfall. I had also been persevering with a terrible vaginal discharge which was very smelly.  I was bloated all the time and my weight ballooned and dropped.  So after only 3 days of not taking these meds it was like a miracle.  The bowel and bladder problems stopped, the vaginal discharge also went away and those areas of my body became normal again - after only 3 days!  A week later  I noticed that my eyes were clearer, my brain clearer and I wasn't so tired any more. My transformation has been miraculous and if I hadn't left those meds behind when I went away on holiday, I would still be taking them and suffering all those awful side affects.  I am not to due to see my doctor for another month but I know that she will be unhappy about my decision to ditch these drugs but I feel empowered and now realise that we in the west are being conned!
    • Posted

hi thanks for your  post, Its   very interesting,,I now know after reading these post my husband will definatly not be taking the statins,I myself am so shocked at all the different symptoms statins cause,,I myself will never take them,,It makes you wonder why they  are handing these out to so many people  like sweets,,It just doesnt seem right .I cant help but think they have some sort of agenda behind all this,,Just think youself lucky you forgot your tablets,,your recovery was amazing,,,,,
    • Posted

Hi Chilaah, I done the very same thing, you just have to be aware of getting a stroke due to high blood pressure, unfortunately I had one so be aware and take something else to compensate. the high cholesterol medicine was deadly for my stroke it basically cripple me could not hardly move didn't realise how deadly it was, I just put it down to my stroke,I have stopped now giving it a little time to clear from my system hopefully to get my life back, I am a 24/7 carer and cannot afford to be in this position, caring for my wife with a brain injury is already extremely hectic let alone being in this position.
    • Posted

Sure do wish you well.  After hours of reading, i concluded (for me) that the only reason to take a statin is when one has a homozygous famililial hypercholesterolimia, rare, or some other equally rare genetic mutation causing hypercholesterolemia..... I have...as many of us do, heterozygous famililial hypercholesterolema, causing a 234 mg level.  Am vegan, exercise 1 hr. a day, minimum, 73, healthy.  The statin I took caused an acute pain in the side, malaise, flu-like symptoms....and it took 4 weeks of being off the statin for these symptoms to be gone.  After watching 'statin nation' I am much more cautious about any prescription, especially those advertised on tv. The medical field is slow to believe that a cholesterol level in the 200's is not bad.  I'm on my soap box whenever I can be!
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear of your predicament Colin.  I will keep an eye on my blood pressure.  My doctor may not want to "treat" me in future as I know that she will be have a "scolding" attitude towards me.  However, I have begun the task of finding another doctor who will support me in how I wish to be medically or non-medically treated.  I wish you well in your continuing recovery.
    • Posted

Wow,now the thing to figure out is what pill or pills caused such a difference.
    • Posted

Well Chilaah I hope things are turning out better for you, having a doctor that only understands how to dictate without understanding how the patient is feeling is totally useless, you only need to look back into history to find out the answer to that. I hope you find a decent doctor, after all it is your body that you are dealing with, and if anyone should know how you are feeling it will be you, and a lot of us fail to realise the changes that is happening to us and put it down to our age rather than the damage the drug is doing.
    • Posted

Well Lee, you can certainly start with this one, and try to balance it with something you can do to help the situation, I don't really know what is the answer to high cholesterol except a change in diet, as David Icke says it's not the side-effects it is the effects of the drug.
    • Posted

Hi colin,i had neuropathy and muscle weakness,nothing til id been on the statin for one year. I went off it,took 3 years,no more nueropathy or muscle issues,husband still on statin,he had a heart attack,he has bad neuropathy in his feet,since he had a heart attack dont know if he should stay on the drug or get off,have to be able to walk,bad situation.
    • Posted

Well Lee, in my case I have to come off it, because I would not be able to care for my wife if I remain on it. I have replaced it with vitamin supplements and just have to hope for the best, it's a pity that you cannot tests yourself like you can for high blood pressure, so one can keep an eye on what's happening.
    • Posted

Colin, I am feeling better and better each week.  It is a relief to be free of the feeling that I am about to topple over along with  a couple of other drug induced issues.  I haven't found a new doctor as yet.  It feels as though big pharma owns them.  Yes, my doctor always blames aging for every symptom I have. And does so with a silly smirk.  Not good, not acceptable.  I am walking every day, have always had a healthy diet, and will just keep my healthy regime going.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.