Told husband not to take his statis,do you agree with me

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all ,my husband had a cholesterol test done,it was a bit high so doctor has prescribed atorvistatin...After reading the reviews on here ,I have told him what was being said, and now we feel he shouldnt take them, Also,as a lot of you have come of your statins ,what do you do to control your cholesterol, Do you do it by diet if so what do you eat,  Or do you use a supplement eg  from the health shop etc ,,, Is there any body else out there who din"t take there statins after being prescribed them,,And did you tell your doctor  you hadn"t taken then, when you had to go back for your blood test to see  if the  statins were working... I would be gratefull for any advice at all...Many thanks

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Im Mark. I have been taking statins for a few years. Up untill 3 days ago i had been suffering aches pains Extreme sweating and feeling hot although to the touch i was not. I also have been unable to make love to my Wife as i was unablee to get or even on occasions maintain and erection. And to say i had no labido would be an understatement. I have been under a cardiologist and had to have an angiogram. Nothing found very healthy. I had a change of Statins from Simavastatins to Atorvastatins. No change there. I was then passed to a Hormone consultant that gave me every blood test known including me supplying 24 hrs worth of urine nothing there. I was told my levels of Testosterone were within a normal range. Now i have since learnt that each and everyman has a individual level so there is no accurate way of measuring this unless a test has recorded your levels prior to statins. Statins remove certain fats that testosterone need one for production and also to adhere too. Also the feeling of temperatures can be down to the effect that they are having on your muscles. Dont forget your heart is a major muscle. A constant cough and Symptoms of a cold without the Virus are also regular. I have now ceased taking them. I have managed to get erections and my labido is improving. I would advise anyone prescribed them to consider seriously against them and seek alternatives. ASo if you are about to take them stock up on a coq 10 supplement of at least 34mg if you have not been taking this buy a larger dose for 2 months. Its an important enzyme that amongst other things protects the brain and muscles. Its a known fact that Old people that have been precscribed statins in care homes have dreadfull side effects and Dementia is higher on those that take them.
    • Posted

Hi Mark,my husband had a heart attack 11 years ago. Then issues starting happening after meds were started,hes on a statin,2 blood pressure meds,omezopral for acid reflux. Metformin for diabetes. Issues now,low testosterone,we no longer have sex,neuropathy in his feet- so bad he calls them wooden feet,type 2 diabetes,which there are studies linking that to statins. Also acid reflux that we believe started after being on one regular asprin per day for years,we now believe baby asprin is what should have been prescibed. Im thinking the neuropathy,low T and possibly diabetes caused by stains. He had a heart attack thats why we dont know if he should go off them. I went off them as they caused major problems for me and i hadnt had a heart attack. I feel much better since off them.
    • Posted

By the way the neropathy started shortly after the statin,back then,he didnt have diabetes.
    • Posted

Statins for me were poison, numerous aweful side affects. I don't know which I hate more doctors or statins. I think most of them are witch doctors.

Remember they all didn't graduate at the top of their class. In fact only one per mediacal school. Most of them I believe don't care, are greedy, and most of them are just down right stupid. 

I'm serious because I have been physically maimed, abused, and mistreated all by different doctors over the years. My last cardiologist wanted me to continue the stain medication even though I had become pre-diabetic, and had severe night sweats, severe leg cramps, and severe muscle weakness in both arms. He never prescribed Co Q10 either. He was an idiot. Never going back...I'm on no medication, no vitamins, I exercise every day and eat mostly organic and the hell with them all.   Iknow that I am ranting but it is all true. You couldn't make this up.  And lastly urologists are the worst.

• Posted

Bill, you took the words right out of my mouth. Like you I weaned myself off statins and the additional drugs, and now, after about a year, I am back to my old self again. Can't believe how sick they (doctors and meds) had made me! Never again!

We are nothing more than commodities to the medical fraternity. Commodities and guinea pigs.

• Posted

Bill I can only agree with you, good advice about the Q10, I will add to that also vitamin B12
    • Posted

10 years ago i mentioned coq10 to my doctor,he didnt know what it was,unbelievable. They still never tell my husband to take it,well im putting it in his pill box.
    • Posted

My cardiologist never mentioned it either. Never asked me about any side effects. 

Just wanted to prescribe statins and get me out of their.

After that I had to go see him for 3 episodes of rapid heart beat that lasted a few minutes at bed time. He wanted me to wear a halter monitor for 30 days.

I said what for and will it make any difference in the end because there is no treatment and he said no. So why did he want me to wear the monitor????

I said no. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.