Told I must increase methadone to 120mls or reduce. Can't stay on 65mls.

Posted , 8 users are following.

My mate saw his key worker today and was told that he could no longer stay on his dose of 65 mls of methadone and that he had to either start reducing his dose or start to increase his dose up to 120 mls. His worker said that it is the new policy that you can't just stay on your current dose, 65mls, and keep on using heroin as well as his 10mg diazepam script and that he had to either start reducing the dose or go up to 120 mls. I've been on and off heroin for 20 years and have never been above 80 mls, nor has my friend so why now should he be forced to go up to this high dose. Has anybody else heard of or had anything like this happened to them? I was of the opinion that methadone was a maintenance drug to enable addicts to get some form of stability in their lives, reduce any criminal activity and when stable start to reduce the dose until they are ready to come off altogether. This sounds utter madness to me and my friend assures me that this is exactly what was said. Surely you can't be forced to go up to what I consider a very high dose and it totally defeats the idea of maintaining and stabilising him and just gives him a higher drug habit. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

R u in uk this soundes wrong, in greater manchester people on scripts were told if not off meth, subs ect u dont get a script , every1 is using again well a lot. I was lucky I started reducin frm 80ml meth 13 mtns ago b4 law came in but they give me subs an I didi it .120 mls is too much meth still gives u cravings , let me no how u go on good luck x
    • Posted

Sorry Lisa I'm not quite with you. Please explain the bit about the new law etc and when you don't get a script etc? I'm in Bradford and it's my mate who's been told this and it just sounds wrong to me. I know they're trying to get people to stop meth and go to suboxone instead but not cancelling scripts or making you go up to 120mls! like my mate. Thanks for your reply. Xx
    • Posted

The cdt have been taken over by an agency ADS and if not come off methadone or wotever in 6 mnths thay wont prescribe any more sorry sbout ur mate but it dounds wrong to m e what about him being offered rehab is that an option really dont no mate .
    • Posted

Has Meth been reclassified along with

diazepam, sleeping tabs, benzodiazepines?

It looks that way.

To increase your friends meth like that will

only give him greater problems.

Meth is the hardest drug I feel to come off.

Well done Lisa for reducing off your own bat.

Keep up the good work.

You could check with CADAS or UNITY would ne better they can give you some indication of is it right to make your friend increase his methadone.

They don't judge you and could help you.

Where are you located? Are you in the UK?

X

• Posted

Never heard of this form of advice.i take it that using 65 ml and using h on top is the reason.but increasing up to 120ml is not good unless they are prepared to stop h altogether.it is a catch 22.have a good think .maybe be titrated again if u feel that 120 is to high.im on 80 ml daily and use h almost every day.make a plan and stick to it. Its hard and you are not alone.let me know what happens.cheers Rob
  • Posted

Hi, Not head this before, but i no a lot is chaning, 120ml is way to much, I've reduced to 35ml & really want to get off this crap, but its so dam hard,especailly because I've been on methedone for 23yrs now & no my Keyworker is pushing for me to keep reducing & I'm not too happy about this after being on this stuff for such a long time, years ago they told me i could stay on methedone for the rest of my life if i wished & it was best for some people to stay on methedone, So I reckon there will be somthing in place eventually to kick us all off Scripts or go into treatment centres, they don't always work either, been though rehab mysef only to relape a week after leaving, but this was back in 97, Lol..Much has probably changed since, Surely they can't make your mate go up to 120ml or reduce, think he needs to properly get this checked out, think there getting Radical on Our Arses!
  • Posted

Hi, you might find that if he's on a higher amount he won't feel like using on top cause you dont feel the gear infact in can make you feel a bit ill cause you've basically had enough opiate with the meth. He'd probably be high enough xx
  • Posted

Hi i have been on and off methadome for 14 years and what you friend sees as a down fall there are 2 resons for this 1: They will reduce his methadome if he continues to use Heroin (Rapid reduction) is where if he continues to use heroin they will take 5ml every 3 day till his prescription ends. 2: They will up his methadome while he using to stop him using Heroin so they will up his 65ml say 5-10ml a week until he feel comfortable but if he stops using heroin and and is stable they may stop befor and not continue to the 120ml but all depends on your friend he can ask them to stop when hes ready to not take any more methadome Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.