Told I no longer have underactive thyroid?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was first told when I was 10 that I would eventually get Underactive Thuroid like my mum, by the age of 14, I was put on tablets, after 3 months of taking them I stopped as they made me feel very ill, I have took them on and off for the last 3 years, until now, 17, where I got told I no longer have underactive thyroid, which I didn't think was possible, and recently I've been very tired again, and have been napping almost every day for the last month or so, I'd be up from 7-4 nap till 6 and then go to bed at 10 and have a very interrupted sleep, and the cycle continues, this is very similar to how I was when I was 14, first put on tablets, should I get retested? It's be almost 3 months since my last test?

Thankyou,

Charley x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You need to make sure you get all the relevant tests.  Your GP is probably only doing TSH, which is hopeless.  You can get private blood tests done online which I would recommend as GPS do not do them.  The Thyroid UK site will tell you all the tests you need or the online blood tests, which are on the Thyroid UK site will do a thyroid panel of tests and then report on them.  Worth the money.
    • Posted

Ohhh, I never realised this, I'll get that done, Thankyou very much,

Charley

• Posted

With autoimmune thyroid disease, you thyroid actually can go hyper for a while permanetly turning hypo.  Perhaps you were just in the hyper state for a few years while you wern't taking your meds, and now it's going back to hypothyroidism?  Just a thought.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.