Told my B12 levels are too high - Confused!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I've had pernicious anaemia for 12 months (had B12 levels of 78) and have been having injections every 8 weeks since.

I went to the Dr last week because I have been having finger/hand/arm/face tremors. They re-tested my levels and have told me they are too high!

Is that even possible? And if so, can it cause tremors?

Any comments back would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise

if your blood was tested after an injection your B12 would be high but I have never known anyone be told that they were too high.

i get tingling in my fingers and toes and and shaky arms and legs and I have been on injections for about three years now.  I get mine every 6 weeks but it is not the injections that cause it, it is peripheral nerve damage caused by not being diagnosed and treated soon enough..

have you looked on the pernicious anemia site ( PASOC).  There is a great forum there with a lot of very knowledgeable people who can give you answers.

• Posted

That will be nerve damage.. nothing to do with high levels. If ur levels are high it could be because your blood was took right after an injection or near to one. I have tremors of head arms legs numbness and nerve damage to eyes .. my levels where 133 .. make sure your doctor continues with the b12 because gps are too quick to say you dont need it. My gp actually told me yesterday my symptoms are all in my head a level of 133 cant cause these symptoms its not even low. Ha.
  • Posted

Can i just ask what your levels came back as to be too high? As the nhs guidelines in 150-600. But ive read so much that anything under 350 is low and levels upto and over 1000 are fine. Your body will rid of what it doesnt need.
  • Posted

The blood was taken 4 weeks after an injection so not too close to it, but I guess not too far away either. I've never heard of them being too high either! I think I'll keep a close eye on my symptoms and if they get worse I'll be straight back in there demanding more B12!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.