Told to stop bisoprolol 2.5mg

Posted , 20 users are following.

I've been in bisoprolol 2.5mg for 3 weeks and the doctor told me to stop them today to see if it's them that's causing me to feel so rough. I'm still talking aspirin and ramipril in the morning. Not sure if to completely stop it only take half

2 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sharon,

Seems too early to me...I would have weaned myself off of them....Like you say,breaking a tablet in half etc then after a week miss half every other day, eventually stopping - these are heart drugs not to be fooled with - Professional advice can be obtained from a Pharmacist but I would always go with what your own Doctor's advice is, I cannot comment on Ramipiril although I used to take those regularly but not any more.    I still take Aspirin & Atorvastatin.

Best of luck, I stopped them and feel much brighter, no more sluggish feelings but that was my decision not the Doctors, so beware, always get expert professional advice.

By the way, I am not qualified in any way to comment or give medical advice. I am Just a layman.

• Posted

hi Sharon ive been on 1.25 mg of bisprolol for 1 month which i dont know why? my blood pressure is good i recently had a stent put in 8 months ago into my left main descending artery. ive noticed it causes my blood pressure to go down to 90/65 but it helps for my angina and heart rate what should i do?

• Posted

I was given bisoprolol,rampril and aspirin for a fib. I had awful side effects,which I put up with thinking that it was the a fib! It's taken me 4 years to find out that the mess we're the reason for my lethargy,weak legs, tinnitus,scary dreams,thinning hair,general weaknesss,woolly/ thick head...plus others! 

I'm now bisoprolol free but still take 2.5 rampril and rivaroxiban. I'm lots

better,heart rate isn't much different and blood pressure is fine. The a fib is still 

I weaned off the bisoprolol ,cutting the dose from 10 to 5 mg,then 2.5....with my docs permission. I then started cutting the 2.5, without medical knowledge! Foolish,many would think,but I'd had enough of feeling so rough. I had bad withdrawal for almost 6 months...but then I'd been prescribed beta blockers for many years! 

I've since had a check up with my doc and she was ok with my decision and my check up was fine .i still have palps and jittery feelings,but I feel a whole lot better.

This is my story and may not be the one for you. I hope that you get sorted,at least you're with a doc who has listened to your concerns and is suggesting you stop the bisoprolol. Good luck. I will watch with interest your further posts. Take care. You will get a lot of support from people on this site.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I know you have not been on this site for a few years but I wonder if you could give me any advice. I have been reducing from bisoprolol 2.5mgs since the new year and been having terrible side effects. I am down to about 1.7mgs of which I have been on now for about 3 weeks but the sleep deprivation and physical anxiety doesnt seem to be getting any less. When I have dropped dose previously after about 2 weeks I seem to stabilise then go for another week without dropping but at the moment I seem to be going nowhere.

How long were you cutting down on the 2.5mgs and how were you able to cut your tablet. I have some mg scales and am dropping by only 0.02 at a time but every time I measure the tablet the weight seems to go up and down like a yoyo, also how long after stopping biso altogether did you get the rebound for?

I was only on these for 3 months before starting to reduce because my blood pressure was very low and have never felt so ill in all my life.

• Edited

Thankyou for your replies. I decided to carry on taking the bisoprolol for another week. I was frightened of just stopping this as it is a beta blocker and I know it's only been 3 weeks. Maybe I have not given this to work properly yet?

• Posted

Some people don't have any side effects on beta blockers.

Other people have mild to moderate side effects, so they can keep on taking them.

Some people have horrible side effects from day 1 and as time goes by, it usually gets worse and worse.

If you thought that maybe your side effects will go away after more time on Beta blockers, that probably won't happen.

Also, why were you taking Beta blockers?

Docs prescribe them for lots of different problems.

For some situations, like high blood pressure, there are lots of different (and better) options.

For other problems, there are less options (but there are still some solutions).

For some problems, there is almost no other options and you just have to take them no matter what.

So, about Beta blockers, there are 2 questions:

1. are you one of those people with or without side effects on Beta blockers?

2. if you suffer side effects, are there other options (some other classes of drugs) for your original disease (or maybe, can you live without any drugs at all?)

• Edited

Also, if you want to keep on taking Bisoprolol, you can try to take 1,25 Mg or 0,62 Mg.

For some people, even smaller doses like 1,25 or 0,62 Mg (1/4th of 2,50 Mg pill) will do the job and you will have much weaker side effects (even though some people have horrible side effects even on tiniest doses).

• Posted

Hi bob

Thankyou for your reply. I was prescribed them for suspected CAD. I am also on aspirin and ramipril. Awaiting a angiogram.

• Posted

Well, you should talk to your doctor then, how to both find some drug which will help you and which won't ruin your life due to side effects.

You will probably need some medicines, so let's hope that your doc will find some better combination of drugs+doses of those drugs.

Good luck

• Edited

Hi I have reduced from 2.5mg to 1.25mg since 5th December,  on Drs advice because my heart rate was very slow.    I am going to ask to stay on the lower dose for a few months before stopping altogether as I was on Beta blockers for 22 years for High Blood Pressure   Side effects since coming off have been minimal some aches and pains.    I have had no palpitations which I previously had every night, and no sudden spikes in pulse.   My blood pressure has also stayed stable, my memory is better and Imhave lots more energy.
  • Posted

Thankyou Ali. Maybe I should half my dose to 1.25 and maybe it will make me feel better
  • Posted

Started to take 1.25mg this morning instead off 2.5mg. Or should I split the dose? Half in morning, half at night?
    • Posted

Take it the same as your original dose, which was probably 2,5 Mg in the morning.

The point of Beta blockers is to slow down your heart, prevent arrhytmias and lower your blood pressure mostly while you are awake and when your heart usually pumps stronger and faster.

Further, a half life of this drug is 12 hours. Half life is time needed for the level of dose taken to drop to 50%.

So, if you take 1,25Mg in the morning, 12 hours later you will have 0,62 Mg in your blood, and by the next morning (24 hours later), the dose of 0,62Mg will again drop by 50% to 0,31Mg.

So, you will have 1,25Mg in your blood in the morning, 0,62Mg in the evening and 0,31Mg in the next morning, when you'll take a new dose.

So, on the 2nd day, you will have 1,25+0,31Mg in the morning (1,56Mg), and 0,62+0,16 (total of 0,78Mg) in the evening etc. Eventually after 7-14 days of taking the drug, a drug will slightly build up more and more in your system and you will constantly have around 200% of a daily dose in your blood (you will take a 1,25Mg dose, but you will have around of 2,5Mg of a drug in your blood since you will have a certain amounts of a drug from previous days still in your blood).

So, unless if a doctor told you that you need to take a drug twice a day, you will have enough of a drug in your system during 24 hours after a few days, even with (only) a 1,25Mg dose in the morning.

• Posted

Well done with your explanation. It should help others clear up their worries. Thank you for this from all of us .
  • Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes I took the half dose at the same time this morning as I would of done if I carried on with the full 2.5mg

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.