Told to stop Ven 225mg IMMEDIATELY - start citalopram tom, will i still get withdrawls

Posted , 4 users are following.

basically after alot of diff meds i was put on ven , slowly increased to 225mg , well int he last 48 hrs ive had over 50 bruises appear , so see gp , he said stop immediately, had blood test there and then , got to return on fri, hes given me 20mg citalopram to start tomo, 20mg then increase to 40 thurs/fri

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps taking the citalopram will help take the edge off the venlafaxine withdrawals.
  • Posted

Good luck. Do you have some support at home? 
  • Posted

Thank you. Yeah I'm hoping so. No one here its just me sad x
  • Posted

Please don't be afraid to hassle any medical support if you need it, and don't read too many posts on here! Let me know how it goes. I remember a consultant telling me the effect a weird combination of medication was having on me was nothing sinister... he was right ... but it wasn't very nice.
  • Posted

I think you will have to listen to your doctor.  If he thinks the Venlafaxine is causing the bruises, he must think you need to come off it immediately.

it is quite possible that yes you will get withdrawals from stopping it, but maybe you wont.  Hopefully the Citalopram will help.  Difficult to say.  I think you have no choice if you are having such a bad reactio9n to Venlafaxine.  How long were you on it? 

I presume you will get the result of the blood test on Friday when you see the doctor again.  He will then be able to tell you what is causing the bruises.

Let us know what happens. 

• Posted

Thanksx I guess ill have the results then. . I will listen to doc but its taken 6m to get to where I am now in regards to the right meds and dosage. Ijust feel like I can't go through another change but look like ill have to sad... I know they know best but im now feeling like I just want to stay away from the world sick of itallsad x
    • Posted

Oh Sarah I am so sorry you are going through so much.  Let us know how you get on at the doctors on Friday.

Thinking of you. 

• Posted

20 years ago I was in a similar situation to you with medication after 10 years of trying to sort me out. Then they found the right drug for me and I have not been ill since and lived a normal life. There are thousands of people round the world who have been fixed. This can happen for you too.
  • Posted

Thank you. More bruises appearing ... felt ok today just a bit tingly on arms and hands but also hungry ( going to my neighbours for tea at 7 so don't want to eat before ) such a nightmare. Bacj to work tomorrow but got weekend off xx
    • Posted

Oh Sarah, more bruises.  What a strange side effect from an anti depressant.  Are you managing the withdrawals OK?  Hope you enjoyed tea with your neighbour.  Well done for keeping on working when all this is going on.

Have you seen doctor?  What did they say?

• Posted

Hiya , yeah its not somethign i would of thought as a side effect , i went up to 225 mg 4 weeks ago and its only just happened. As for withdrawls , I went into work today only lasted 1hr 45 and have come home , i feel drained and anxious and a b it sick so am now in bed for a few hrs . Yeah had doc tues when he said to stop them and did blood test but my next apt is tomro pm , hopefully ill get results too then , ive had 20mg citalpram yest and today , he has said i can take 40 if i wish , may do that from tomorrow or saturday x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.