tolerance?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on Citalopram for approximately 5 years.  I actually mostly have been trying to get off it for most of that time but never had success even with super slow tapers.  I have been sticking with the same dose - 20 mg - for at least a year, had some stress with work and am now experiencing withdrawal like symptoms.  It has been suggested that I am in tolerance.  Has anyone had this happen?  What have you done?  I am thinking of trying a dose increase but wonder if I should try a different med instead?  I am feeling absolutely miserable so don't think I can attempt to go off of it at this time - and never have been able to do so even when feeling stable.  

Would love to hear others experiences.

Thanks!

Michele

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi became intolerant to Prozac also because of my menopause the dr switched me to citalopram a few weeks ago and I am starting to feel a bit better, no side effects yet apart from vertigo. Fingers crossed. I hope you get sorted it's terrible thing to cope with x

• Posted

So glad you are feeling better, Jmoo!  Can you tell me a little more about how you knew you were intolerant to Prozac?  I am still trying to figure out if that is what is going on with me or not.  
    • Posted

At first I was crying a lot then started getting panic attacks and anxiety for no reason. Then the horrible thoughts and disturbing visions started which I suppose was withdrawal as the Prozac wasn't taking effect anymore. That's when I went to my gp and she suggested changing to citalopram . She also mentioned menopause and hormonal and age changes can effect how the antidepressant works in the body. Hope this is of some help to you but don't make any changes without discussing with your gp. All the best x

• Posted

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, Jmoo.  I am feeling much of the same way except mine did not come out of blue but was precipitated by problems at work.  

How did the switch to citalopram go from Prozac? I am scared to change meds and was hoping increasing the dose would work instead.  Have an appointment next week to discuss all of this with my doctor.  

Thanks again,

Michele

• Posted

I never did more than 2 years and had no problem coming off.  Be really careful about upping and reducing your meds on your own. Keep your Dr in the loop. Also never heard of anyone becoming in tolerant. Have you tried some extra therapies to cope with stressful situations as they arise?
    • Posted

Thank you for responding. That is great you had no problems coming off!  I wish I could say I had the same experience. rolleyes I am working with my doctor and am trying as much as I can to work on coping strategies too.
    • Posted

Well done. Everything you can do will help and help arm you for the future. Keep at it. With you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.