Tolerance to Propranolol?

Posted , 1 user is following.

For the almost 3 weeks I've been taking propranolol 40mg x3 daily soon to be the 80mg slow release x2 daily....i just wondered if you can build up a tolerance to it? As I've taken my full dosage every day since i got them and they've been working great apart from the past 2 nights, I've started getting a pain in my right thigh, like cramp, and no amount of stretching is relieving it, is this normal? And I experienced a rapid heart rate and a short burst of adrenalin when i had a little panic attack tonight, i thought beta blockers were supposed to stop this exact thing? Can anyone help please?

Danielle x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle,

I did find in the beginning I had some break through problems. They weren't often and not very severe, so I just did my best to ride them out. They always passed and I felt the better for getting through them. My attacks always came late in the evenings or as I was trying to to go bed, so I figured out a night time ritual of things that relaxed me and made it a point to stick to the routine. Since we are all different, I'm not sure what might trigger your attacks. Just try to stay strong and know that with the medication to help you, things WILL get better.

Nancy

• Posted

Hi Nancy, is there any chance you could tell me what you do on an evening? My panic attacks are exactly the same, i do t get them during the day, just on an evening and when i try sleep.

Danielle x

• Posted

Sure, Danielle ~

I noticed that my attacks were more frequent as I began to "slow down" in the evening; during the times I had less to keep my mind occupied. I kept allowing worrisome thoughts that had no way to be resolved (problems, etc.). I would imagine all kinds of awful outcomes and felt helpless to get away from the worry.

So I began to try and train my brain to shut off the circular thinking that went nowhere. I began by memorizing phrases and poetry that was just really calming and that allowed me to get some good visual images in my head. When I had some success with that, I decided that it was time to move on to words that gave me a feeling of control and power. For me, I found that biblical Psalms were the answer. Sometimes when I share this with others, I don't receive the best feedback, so I hope you will find it helpful. These are what I read: Psalm 23, Psalm 46, Psalm 86. Most of these Psalms were written by men who had real enemies, but as I read them I think of myself as the enemy, because I know the panic comes from within me. I also have some music that I really like and it distracts me from going into a full blown attack.

Anyway, this is what has helped me more than anything. I have been panic free for about 5 years now. :-)

Nancy

• Posted

Thank you so much, i will definitely try these things, and even though I'm not particularly religious im an open minded person so i will look up the psalms and see if they help, I like the other ideas also so i will give them a try also.

Thank you so much for the advice, i will get back to you soon and let you know if i found any success.

Danielle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.